My first sick chicken (pics and lots more info page 2)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kaya's farm, Oct 21, 2008.

1. kaya's farm

kaya's farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    southern VT
    I have a six month old chicken that stayed in her coop for a few days and started acting like she couldn't hold her head up this morning. Her comb and face look a bit red and you can almost see a bit of blood in the corner of her eye and her nose? her head just falls down and now she cant even perch? and im sure she wont make it but i wonder if she has something the others could get?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  2. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    I'm new to chickens. I wish I could help more but from what I understand you should move her to a quite place away from the others. I'm sure there is someone with more experience out there willing to help.

3. kaya's farm

Aug 6, 2008
    southern VT
    I have been looking through some other threads for answers .......thanks

4. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    I'm bumping you up. I can't answer your question but some of the others will know Jean

5. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  6. kaya's farm

Aug 6, 2008
    southern VT
    yea i have been looking everywhere and cant figure much out.

Yesterday i was asking her why she was staying in so much and when i did the fall overhaul in the coop she satyed in the whole time i cleaned the coop out. Today i find her on the floor of the coop wabling and her head will not stay up. It just arches down, she feels so skinny and i checked her body no signs of anthing strange. She is loosing lots os feathers but i dont know if thats normal she just hasnt been active enough to shed them? Poor girl???

7. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    I'm not really sure if this is the way its done but heres a BUMP! I hope someone can answer!! Wheres speckled hen and Miss Prissy?

8. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    this is the only way i know how to help.... BUMP!

9. kaya's farm

Aug 6, 2008
    southern VT
    thank you so much guys i knew the neck thing was a unique symptom and i found out a bit about botulism? Limber neck??? Im still reading

10. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    MISS PRISSY AND SPECKLED HEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE NEED YOU!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Sorry, I can't help much.... [​IMG] I have no idea what it may be.... [​IMG] So sorry to hear about it, though. [​IMG]
    I'm praying that she gets better and the others don't get the same thing!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] Good luck and hang in there! [​IMG] :aww Specledhen and MissPrissy know a lot about chickens. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by