My first Silkie Baby... ***Picture Added!!!***

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChrystalGail, Mar 28, 2009.

1. ChrystalGail

ChrystalGail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Casa Grande, AZ
    Okay, I've been reading all you "silkie crazed" people posting about how wonderful silkies are and I just didn't buy it. [​IMG] They are chickens for goodness sake not lap dogs! Well, I happened across a girl that was hatching chicks to help pay down her cell bill to her parents and couldn't resist helping a young teen who is trying to be responsible, so I came home with a baby silkie. OMG! He/she is the sweetest thing ever! Now I'm hooked. It is maybe a day or two old and just wants to be around us all the time. I have him/her in a little aquarium type cage on the kitchen counter right now, because I haven't dug out my regular brooder yet, and he/she screams it's little head off until one of us come to pay it some attention. I have some eggs due to hatch this week, so it will have company very soon. I have to confess, too, that as I am typing this he/she is sleeping tucked in my shirt! [​IMG]

Anywho... You guys were right, Silkies are definatly special! I will post pictures soon...

As promised, here is a picture of my new baby. Any guess as to what color he/she will turn out to be?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  2. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    Aren't they sweet?! [​IMG]

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Can hardly wait to see some pics!!!

4. Silkiefan

Silkiefan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    I'm new to Silkies, and wonder if they go thru a "fear stage" like dogs? Mine used to be willing to let us handle them, but now they don't really like being picked up. We're very gentle with them, so I can't understand what happened. They were hatched March 9th... I want them to be super tame, so any suggestions would be warmly welcomed.

5. ChrystalGail

ChrystalGail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Casa Grande, AZ
    I finally added a picture of my little babe. It is in my post above! Let me knwo what you think of him/her....

6. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    Oh, sooooo cute! [​IMG]
    I have one that is a similar color, but I don't know what color it will grow into.

7. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    MWAHAHAHA another crazy silkie person! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I am totally hooked too! I LOVE LOVE LOVE my silkies! They sure act like lap dogs! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by