My first silkie chick. EVER

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SecretHavenFarm, May 18, 2010.

1. SecretHavenFarm

SecretHavenFarm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2009
    Shadow Hills, CA
    My very first silkie hatched today. I am not quiet sure what to do. His momma is still sitting on eggs. Will she take him out to get food and water? Should I bring him in under a heat lamp?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If you have a broody, she will take care of baby.. Just have chick starter and food available for mamma hen to show your new silkie chick.

3. NancyP

NancyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    Congratulations. I have two and they are so sweet and cute.

4. SecretHavenFarm

SecretHavenFarm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2009
    Shadow Hills, CA
    I was feeding and my horses dinner, looked in the coop as I walked by,and there was the little fluff ball sitting there. I turned around right there and went to the feed store to get the chick starter, so no worried there [​IMG]

Him and momma are in the coop, I was hopeing to build seperate pens for them, but my BF hasent had the time to help me. Will my silkie roosters hurt him? If so I will build a pen tonight for them.

5. LadyinRed

LadyinRed Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2009
    Just let baby and mama be for the first 12hrs or so. He needs her warmth while he dries. Its fine to remove the egg shell he came out of whenever you want. It may take a day for all his brothers and sisters to hatch so don't be alarmed. A small bowl of food and a waterer nearby is a good thing. And watch for momma pooping in the nest. Our hen that just hatched her's would not get off to eat or drink or even poop for two days after they started hatching and was pooping on the side of the nest. We had to remove it and make sure food was avalible to momma because of this.

Congratulations on your Silkie and get us some pictures soon!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by