My first Silkies... I'm beginning to think they are thick!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by L1sa, Oct 4, 2018.

1. L1sa

L1sa Songster

Jan 25, 2017
    South Australia
    As a breed, I'm beginning to think they are not the brightest out there! Have I just got 'special' birds or are they all a bit intellectually challenged???

2. N F C

N F C booooo!

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Are you implying they are...bird brains? :gig

3. L1sa

L1sa Songster

Jan 25, 2017
    South Australia
    Haha, very good!

However I reckon 'bird brain' is a compliment to these thickos!!

4. Dravus

Dravus In the Brooder

Feb 4, 2018
    Lancashire, England
    I have heard a little saying regarding silkies that goes a little bit like "lack of Intelligence is directly proportional to the amount of fluff covering thier eyes"

I know mine was dumb as bricks until he got a haircut

5. muddy75

muddy75 Songster

Aug 17, 2018
    southern indiana
    having 15 chicks now 5 weeks old, i’ve never really questioned their intelligence compared to my other birds, but they aren’t what I would consider to be inherently friendly/docile as I was led to believe. my RIRs,BAs,and turkeys all greet me at the gate, eat out of my hand etc while the silkies are still pretty skittish and 1 of my buffs is downright mean pecking at the newbies!

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I think that Silkies fit into the 'love them or dislike them' category; I had some, and did not fall in love with them. I was in the 'dumb as rocks' camp myself, and found them fragile, and didn't have good advice about managing them at the time. They did not live long, and the Belgian d'Uccles that I got at the same time did great. This was all long ago...
    Mary

7. SimplyLivinthatFarmLife

SimplyLivinthatFarmLife Crowing

Jul 17, 2017
    Georgia
    :yuckyuck

N F C likes this.
  8. Johnny98

Johnny98 Songster

Jan 2, 2018
    N.C.
    I've got a few Silkies, makes all the other girls seem really, really smart though.

Dumber than a box of rocks, one and all.

9. L1sa

L1sa Songster

Jan 25, 2017
    South Australia
    Lol, you are right, my other girls all seem super smart in comparison! I'm glad it's not just me!
    Although yesterday my little thickie Silkies worked out how to follow mum up the ramp! I was impressed, it was however a week after the intelligent chick had worked it out! And that means I no longer have to physically pick them up and put them to bed anymore, so I guess there's hope for them, maybe I will not classify them as thick, only a bit slow!

EggSighted4Life and Johnny98 like this.
  10. Chickassan

Chickassan Crossing the Road

Pffft....get some faverolles then we'll talk about intellegence or lack of.:lau

pitbullmomma likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: