My first Silkies

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by storminthenight, Nov 2, 2009.

1. storminthenight

storminthenight Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2008
    Missouri
    So we went to the last swap meet of the year on Saturday for the specific purpose of getting a few silkie pullets. Here are the four we got, I beleive there is a white, black, buff and partridge, and the man did his best to pick out girls for us . . .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So what do you think? do they look like a Silkie should? lol, and do they look like girls.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  2. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Yours look like mine does, but I have only had a silkie for 2 days... so am no expert. Good luck!

3. storminthenight

Nov 22, 2008
    Missouri
    Lol, we must have joined the silkie band wagon together, I just hope these guys are girls.

4. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    They have smallish crests, but the good news is that they won't have any trouble finding food and water! [​IMG]

5. storminthenight

Nov 22, 2008
    Missouri
    I have no idea if age makes any difference to the crest, but I think these girls are still pretty young.
    They did great settling into the flock, went right outside and made themselves at home.

6. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Yes, Silkies have great personalities. I have never had one peck me or be mean to another chicken. You're gonna love them. [​IMG]

7. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    They are pet quality birds. The white and partridge are females, but the black is likely a cockerel and the buff may be as well.

8. darkroo

darkroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2009
    Sandy
    [​IMG]
    Lilpeeps, how about some tips on why ya think males on two of them. I have two black silkies and had four males. I need to choose better next spring. One of my girls has a big hair do and the other has a small hair do.
    [​IMG]

9. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Quote:For the black, in the first pic, he has more of a male stance, and his crest is more similar to that of a male. In the last pic, you can see he has a rather large comb and wattles beginning to develop. As for the buff, there isn't much in the way of wattle development, but the stance is more male-like, especially in the first pic. In the second pic, you can see what appears to be streamers emerging from the back of the crest.

10. darkroo

darkroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2009
    Sandy
    [​IMG]
    Thank you for the tips. I was looking at your website and you have some AWESOME birds
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by