My First Slaughter

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by JPinVT, Jun 27, 2011.

1. JPinVT

JPinVT Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Vermont
    On Saturday, I processed a 4 week-old CX hen that just wasn't growing. She wouldn't put weight on her right leg, and as a result was bullied out of food and water from her brothers and sisters. So... I killed the first creature I'd ever killed larger than a spider, and I was amazed at the pride I felt after I was done butchering. She only dressed out to 1.3lbs, but she'll make a wonderful roast for myself and my husband this week. Knowing that I grew my own food and can really do this is so amazing! If you'd like to read the full story and see some photos, I posted it on my blog:

http://www.oldpostfarm.com/1/post/2011/06/my-first-slaughter.html

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I am so proud of you! great job!
    I use my 1.5 pounder culls for soup in the crock pot - they fit in whole perfectly, and the bones and delicate skin add so nicely to the flavor, with exactly the right amount of meat [​IMG]

3. jgervais

jgervais Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Jackson, MI
    You give me courage!!!

4. JPinVT

JPinVT Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Vermont
    Thanks guys! It really helped that I just wanted it to go well for the bird - that's where I got the courage to make the cut. Next month when we do the other 30 birds, I hope things go this smoothly...

5. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Congratulations! [​IMG]

6. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    The Cornish X is commercially processed at 35 days of age for a 1 1/2-2+ lb. Game Hen that you see in the stores. I do this all the time with mine too. Roast or BBQ for a gormet treat. [​IMG] Enjoy !!! [​IMG]

7. pjknust

pjknust Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Texas
    Thank you so much for sharing!! I am considering ordering more chicks in Sept, some pullets and some to butcher. Ive never done that, and you have helped me a lot!
    Thanks again for sharing,

pam in TX

8. Meghalu

Meghalu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    The Okanagan
    I love posts like this. They give me comfort that when the day comes, I will be able to do the same and it will hopefully go as well for me. Thank you for sharing. [​IMG]

9. myhubbycallsmechickeemama

myhubbycallsmechickeemama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Arco, ID
    Great job!!! I wish I could say I didn't cry on my first one but I can't. Congratulations![​IMG]

BTW....Love your blog.

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Congrats, that little chicken will make a great roast. [​IMG] We did the same with one of our little one that I knew wouldn't make it to 8 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by