Our garden area has poor soil and stubborn pasture grasses. I decided to try a straw bale garden this year to hopefully improve the soil. I laid down 2 layers of cardboard over the area and put 35 bales down on it in a comb pattern. The row all the way to the left is a single row for tomatoes. The rest are double rows. There's a single row on one side connecting the other rows which will be for winter squash. There's a slope for the vines to trail down. Most of the bales are cut side up but I forgot in the whole lay out process about that so there are some that are upside down. I laid a thick layer of chicken manure on top and placed soaker hoses. I cut up wire hangers and bent the pieces into u shapes to hold the soaker hose in place. Old t posts are helping hold the bales in place and Im going to string wire up for tomatoes, peas, beans, cucumbers. I'm putting bark chips down over the carboard to make it look nice and add traction. I'm 10 days into the soaking/conditioning stage. I've added ammonium sulfate twice but no sign of heating up so far. I've got about 3 weeks before I need to start planting though.