1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My First "Stupid Question" of the Day

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Picky Chicky, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    I don't feel like it's the nicest way to pick up my girls, but just so I know how to do it correctly... and I feel stupid for asking... what is the appropriate way to pick up a chicken by it's legs? I've done it a couple times to my girls to try and check their vents (to see which one was laying), but I don't want to accidentally yank their legs out of their little joints/sockets/whatever.

I feel like an idiot. [​IMG]

Edited to say - pictures would be a great reference for dumb dumb me!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2009
  2. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    I like to reach under them from the front under their breast.Then I put their legs between my fingers so I could hold them still,the breast should be on your forearm. The more you do it the better,after awhile they'll kinda jump on your forearm when you reach under them. Look at the cornish-x,that's the way I like to pick them up. Will
    [​IMG]

3. Picky Chicky

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    Thanks for the picture! Mine will definitely run from me. I'm certain practice makes perfect though. [​IMG] Hehe

BTW, the little mini-video of your friend jumping up from her roost to your shoulder was great!

4. purelypoultry

purelypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    If your worried about them running you might want to consider some bantams.

5. Picky Chicky

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    Quote:Right now I've got 3 EEs and 2 Japanese Bantys... I think my EE, "Doughnut" will be the first I try this out on. Since she started laying eggs, she submits into a huddle when I get near her. It's strange.

6. purelypoultry

purelypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    I have had chickens that do that as well. Animal behavior has always seemed odd to me. Makes every day interesting.

7. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    Quote:Thank you,our chickens love me.Too bad it's sideways,my gf didn't know you can't rotate video with her new camera. Will

8. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    I agree with Willeheveland and I also reach down to pet them and if they "squat" or are checking something interesting out I reach down and place both hands over the wings and then tuck them under my arm ...using one hand to hold the feet I can then turn them gentley over and check them out...They get use to it ....My little bantam would always run from me like the sky was falling when I got her...she's also my hen thats goes broody...and from feeding her by hand over the past year and placing her in the warmest part of the coop at night she has began to trust me...actually coming up to me when I got treats because she knows I'll feed her first....

9. Picky Chicky

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    I did start feeling like I had the plague when I was going into the chicken run and my girls would scatter - OMG it's that crazy lady!! I'm certain they were all clucking to each other.

Anyways, I started going in with some treats ... all along going chick chick chick and now anytime they see me they're a little more apt to run towards me until they realize I'm empty handed - then they give me the evil eye before they go back to checking out what's leftover on the ground. [​IMG]

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I do it the same way. They don't like it but they really don't struggle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by