My first swollen crop issue

jonalisa

Codswallop!
8 Years
May 28, 2013
NH
My Coop
My Coop
In 10 years of chickenkeeping, this is my first swollen crop - so unfamiliar territory.
The crop is very large and round and does feel 'squishy' (although not in a 'liquid' sense - feels more fatty-squishy). My husband said he noticed it swollen yesterday.
How to know if this is pendulous, sour (I have a cold and can't smell well, but don't smell anything) or something else?
Edit to add: She's not lethargic and not isolating at all.

Attachments

• PXL_20220404_205601898.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220404_205601898.MP.jpg
    925 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
So, after reading azygous' informative paper on the subject, I'm leaning towards pendulous crop.
I went out to the coop, sat her on my lap and supported her crop with my hand and she immediately seemed to relax. I gave gentle massage with periods of just supporting the crop and she seemed to be very relaxed. Not sure if the crop emptied at all, but it was definitely less firm.
Thoughts?

I'm bringing her in for the night. I have only fresh water in a crate. My husband went to get miconazole and yogurt just in case. Anything else I should be doing, let me know...will start looking at crop bras.
While her crop is low, more than anything it's swollen and sits a little to one side.. No sour smell that I can tell. And while technically squishy, not in a liquidy way. She seems otherwise normal. Seemed very happy to have the light crop massage and support.

Today, her crop is the size of a softball. Still no odor. I can feel feed (crumbles) in one area. It feels, like thick liquid and soft flesh and it is very heavy. Doesn't show outward distress. This morning, without thinking, a family member gave her fresh water and crumbles. When I got up I grabbed it, but she probably ate some. Her crop is the size of a softball, thick and heavy - same as yesterday and I feel feed in one area. She's in a gated area outside right now, on soil and sand and she's walking around as usual with no outward distress, but I could really use some advice as to which way to go.

So big and round it's hard to determine.
@casportpony @azygous

Last edited:
Ok, so she was crated all day today, outside with water. I made a crop bra using a piece of wool and 2 strips of vet wrap. I put it on her and as she struggled, she threw up some hot liquid.

I'm really quite surprised to not get any help here. I've done my best to read through the articles and posts but I don't have any first-hand experience to make a judgment call on whether it's pendulous, sour or something else.

Crop is the size of a softball. Just gave Miconazole. She's showing no signs of distress and when I let her out of the crate while I cleaned it, she walked around and seems otherwise normal.

No idea.

Edit to add:
I have somewhat small hands but her crop is much larger than my hand. I gave her some coconut oil by putting in her beak and olive oil in a syringe down her throat and did a very gentle crop massage, also lifting and shifting the crop gently. It is VERY heavy. Almost feels like heavy wet sand mixed with a thick liquid. Also early this morning gave Miconazole in beak. She's mad to be crated.

Last edited:
I don't have any experience with this, but I just want you to know you are being heard. Sometimes it takes a while for folks to get around to responding. It sounds like you are doing a good job.

I don't have any experience with this, but I just want you to know you are being heard. Sometimes it takes a while for folks to get around to responding. It sounds like you are doing a good job.
I appreciate it.
I'm on other sites seeing what help I can get. Thanks.

First of all, sour crop doesn't always have a sour smell. An impacted crop more often smells due to zero movement of the contents and has begun to ferment and rot, so it has an awful unmistakable odor.

To help figure out what you're dealing with, try some extended massage, focusing your finger tips in the center mass with the objective of breaking it up and helping the crop clear.

If the crop contents don't break up, it's most likely impacted. If the contents break up and go down some, but come back right away, it's likely sour crop. If the contents break up and go down, and you can feel the crop mostly empty, then you may be dealing with pendulous crop.

Do not worry about her eating. With crop issues, the patient knows better what she needs, and won't be inclined to eat with impacted or sour crop. Pendulous crop has so enlarged the crop that the appetite isn't hampered as completely as the other two issues. Because starvation is a risk in all crop issues, withholding food is not something I advise.

Back
Top Bottom