My first time: chicken looking/acting strange....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LadyWoodsong, Dec 10, 2010.

1. LadyWoodsong

LadyWoodsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Midwest
    I've had my chickens since April this year (I am a first-time chicken owner). Haven't had any problems with them at all up until now. I have 12 Black Stars and three bantys.

One of my Black Stars keeps shaking it's head, the feathers around it's neck are looking really scruffy looking, maybe some have come out....I'm not sure because the darn thing won't let me get anywhere near it. It's very flighty....all of my chickens will usually squat for me when I come near, but this particular one just runs away now ever since it's had this problem.

It just doesn't look or act right. It's comb and wattles are not a bright red like the rest. Something is wrong with it, but I don't know what? I got some poultry dust for mites the other day, but I can't catch the darn thing! I'm afraid of touching it because I don't want to get any mites on me or my kids.

The rest of the girls look healthy! I'm almost considering just culling this one so it doesn't pass anything on to the others.

Any advice or ideas? Thanks. [​IMG]

2. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    You need to seperate it from the rest of the flock, just in case it is something it can pass on to the rest of the flock. If you can't catch it during the day wait until it settles down to bed for the night and grab it then. Poultry mites don't stay on people. When I dust or spray mine for mites I do it at night when they are all sleeping.

3. LadyWoodsong

LadyWoodsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Midwest
    So, what could be wrong with my chicken?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by