My First Time - for all of us with no clue

dskoronsk

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 20, 2012
Mom and dad raised chickens (of course), bunnies, turkeys, Nubian goats and one year pigs. Mom would always incubate. We had a Hova-Bator Incubator. By looking at the instructions, must be from the 70's. Anyway, I bought the house next door and borrowed the old incubator. I am officially done with my first hatch. Before i elaborate, here is some info: I started the old relic Hova-Bator and let it sit for 24 hrs on 101 degrees. You can't just push a button on this thing. It needs to be adjusted constantly until the ideal temperature is reached. The breeds we have vary: reds, arachanua, some brahma and miscellaneous roosters that the Easter chick people leave in boxes in front of ours or our neighbors house (thanks so much). There are mixes in there too. I also have 2 khaki Campbell ducks and 2 Pekins who co-habitate with my 2 pygmy goats and one eyed chicken. The khaki's are 2 yrs old (TSC) and the Pekins (Craig's list) are a year old. Khaki's are females, Pekins 1 male 1 female. Just an FYI, NOT a good mix. Khaki's are small and Pekins are large. Not aggressive, but just too big for Khaki's. I started this projects with 3 green, 3 white and 10 brown chicken eggs. I threw in 3 duck eggs just for fun. Mom informed me after the first week that we need water in the incubator. I never did it (who reads instructions?). Started the humidity factor at day 7. I turned the eggs twice a day for 18 days. Chick 1,2,3 were born on day 20. Chick 4 was born on day 21. Very cute chicks. 3 look alot like arachanua and chick four is pure black. I waited for 2 more days. NO movement anywhere. So I took the remaining 12 eggs outside to check them out. My mom, myself and my daughter "chucked" them and they were all yolk. What a disappointment. But, alas, the ducks were coming. I sprayed throughout but didn't feel confident. Number 1 came on day 25. He/she arrived with my help. The egg shell was so hard and it was well over 12 hours since the pipping. She managed to get out, but with part of her sac. After i got home from work the sac was dried up and the duckling was dry. She is Pekin/Khaki mix. Awesome looking in fact. Peep number 2 joined us on day 26. Perfect. Easy hatch. This is a pure Pekin. The four chicks and 2 ducklings are now in the breeder together. The 2nd duckling hatched today. The 3rd egg is not promising. Any advise out there? Should there be a time when i separate the 2 breeds? They are all so happy and cuddly right now. I know ducks are horribly messy. THANKS! That's my story.

Mom and dad raised chickens (of course), bunnies, turkeys, Nubian goats and one year pigs. Mom would always incubate. We had a Hova-Bator Incubator. By looking at the instructions, must be from the 70's. Anyway, I bought the house next door and borrowed the old incubator. I am officially done with my first hatch. Before i elaborate, here is some info: I started the old relic Hova-Bator and let it sit for 24 hrs on 101 degrees. You can't just push a button on this thing. It needs to be adjusted constantly until the ideal temperature is reached. The breeds we have vary: reds, arachanua, some brahma and miscellaneous roosters that the Easter chick people leave in boxes in front of ours or our neighbors house (thanks so much). There are mixes in there too. I also have 2 khaki Campbell ducks and 2 Pekins who co-habitate with my 2 pygmy goats and one eyed chicken. The khaki's are 2 yrs old (TSC) and the Pekins (Craig's list) are a year old. Khaki's are females, Pekins 1 male 1 female. Just an FYI, NOT a good mix. Khaki's are small and Pekins are large. Not aggressive, but just too big for Khaki's. I started this projects with 3 green, 3 white and 10 brown chicken eggs. I threw in 3 duck eggs just for fun. Mom informed me after the first week that we need water in the incubator. I never did it (who reads instructions?). Started the humidity factor at day 7. I turned the eggs twice a day for 18 days. Chick 1,2,3 were born on day 20. Chick 4 was born on day 21. Very cute chicks. 3 look alot like arachanua and chick four is pure black. I waited for 2 more days. NO movement anywhere. So I took the remaining 12 eggs outside to check them out. My mom, myself and my daughter "chucked" them and they were all yolk. What a disappointment. But, alas, the ducks were coming. I sprayed throughout but didn't feel confident. Number 1 came on day 25. He/she arrived with my help. The egg shell was so hard and it was well over 12 hours since the pipping. She managed to get out, but with part of her sac. After i got home from work the sac was dried up and the duckling was dry. She is Pekin/Khaki mix. Awesome looking in fact. Peep number 2 joined us on day 26. Perfect. Easy hatch. This is a pure Pekin. The four chicks and 2 ducklings are now in the breeder together. The 2nd duckling hatched today. The 3rd egg is not promising. Any advise out there? Should there be a time when i separate the 2 breeds? They are all so happy and cuddly right now. I know ducks are horribly messy. THANKS! That's my story.
Wow lots to answer!!! First....read directions! Lol Second..candle your eggs at day 10... If they are clear as a bell..chuck them to prevent eggs from exploiding rotten stench in your bator! Third....duck eggs take 28 days unlike chickens that are 21 days. The ducklings should be separated now as the wet mess they create is harmful to the chicks...chicks cant take wet environments like ducks....they can get sick..hypothermic and die;( First day or so ..yes...after that no.... Ducklings also do not need and shouldntnreally have the same heat as chicks after hatching...ducklings are about 10 degrees cooler. Hope this helped a little? Lol good luck with your next batch

TY sonew123.

I will take your advise. Today the incubator was cleaned and the last duck egg chucked. It was a dud as expected. I will give the babies a couple more days together while i dig out the other heat lamp. They are so happy right now!

Back
Top Bottom