My First time!!!!! ***HELP***

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lanissa86, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    So today I got 2 dozen Eggs and some Extras from someone local here![​IMG] I am super excited!! But I have no clue what I am really doing! [​IMG] I turned my incubator on and it was at a constant temp of 99.5! I do not have a thing to read humidity and a lot of people assured me I can still hatch successfully without it, but I can't help but still be worried! Well, when my temps were good I decided to place the eggs...it took me a minute but when I realized I closed the bator the temps dropped drastically! [​IMG] Did I already screw this all up??!?!?! [​IMG] And, to top it off I do not have a automatic turner, so each time I open the bator to turn my eggs will this always happen?? Am I messing my batch up or do you experienced Hatchers turn without turners? If So Tips would be Greatly appreciated!!!! Hope I get something in 21 days! Cross your fingers for me! These will be lovely if they do hatch!

P.S - These are the eggs I got!

Welsummers
    Marans
    Welsummer X Marans
    White Polish
    Golden laced Polish
    Pheonix

WISH ME LUCK EVERYONE!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
  2. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Hi, it's my first time hatching too. The temp drops every time I open the bator and turn the eggs. But, it goes back to the right temp within a few minutes after I've closed it. I too don't have a turner. I turn the eggs 3 times a day. I'm on day 13. I can't wait till hatch day ! This is nerve wrecking and exciting at the same time.

3. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    My temp normally goes down when I put the eggs in the first time. It won't drop that much when you turn them.

Good luck,

jackie

4. Lanissa86

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    I just ran into another problem!!!! I think my thermometer is out! Does wal-mart carry something?!?! I need to find something fast! I noticed how drastically the temp dropped when placing the eggs, well, when the temp was not going back up I looked at the thermometer and it seems it may be the problem! I turned the bator Temp handle as far as it can go but now I have no idea what the temp is!!!!!! HELP FAST! :eek:

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'd turn the temp knob back down....you're gonna cook those eggs if you turned it all the way up!! When you first add eggs it can take hours for the temps to come back up.

6. orlandoluv1

orlandoluv1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    spring valley , CA
    walmart sells these things that have a temp reader and a humidity reader all in one little thing. that is what i use and its been working fine. thats what i would get. you definately should put your temps down though. it is much better to have the temps low and the hatch late then the temps high and cook the poor little things. well hope this helps youll have to let me know how this turns out k

7. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    yes, wal mart has temps, try to get an acurite that has both temp and humidity and then pick up a water wiggler from the toy dept. ask if you can't find one..they are like .88 to a dollar. Then when you get back with them do a search (above in the blue border) and type in Accurite temp and humidity *. Just like that and you will see pics of how to do it and what to do.

8. Lanissa86

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Which department did you get it in? I think I am heading that way now! I have an old GQF thermomster, the old timey ones with mercury, think I would rather have the one you mentioned! Thanks

9. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
  10. Lanissa86

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    I am sorry for sounding SO dumb, but what is the water wiggler for???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by