My First Time Incubating Duck Eggs; Any Advice or Pointers Welcomed

mustangluvrjen

Songster
9 Years
Dec 1, 2010
South Cakilaki
I placed 6 eggs in homemade incubator early Saturday evening. I had a thermostat go out on me which caused the temp to spike and then drop. Now I'm using 40 watt infrared buld on dimmer. I candled the eggs yesterday since I was afraid of the rapid temp flucating might of impacted development. Much to my surprise I have 5 viable eggs out of 6. All viable eggs have strong noticeable veins and tiny heart beats.

I'm a newbie and figured I would post here under ducks since thats what I'll be hatching(hopefully). Any advice or pointers will be greatly appreciated.

72984_dscn1036.jpg

72984_dscn1015.jpg

Lockdown refers to the last three days of incubation when you stop turning the eggs- and increase the humidity for them to be able to hatch. I see you have the eggs laying on their sides too..thats how I find duck eggs do better rather than standing on end.

Quote:
Thats what I was guessing lockdown meant but just wanted to make sure. I'm glad to hear that you have sucess w/ your duck eggs laying on their sides...I was starting to worry if I should but them standing up. I'll just leave them be the way they are. Also I rotate my eggs; i.e. those closest to the heat source will be exchange places w/ those furthest away from heat when I go to turn them. Will this extra handling do any harm? Thanks again for the pointers..I'm like a dry sponge so the more you tell me the more I'll absorb
lau.gif

I sprayed my duck eggs once a day and left the lid off the incubator during that time. This was from day 7 to 21. This cool down misting period really seems to help. You need to up your humidity for that final hatch....That will be a challenge for you in your current set up.... So, I recommend Getting a sponge in water set up but make sure the ducklings cannot get in it and drown and also get a lot of damp towels, rubber band each of them after dipping in warm water. and do a final warm water spray down at lock down. Great luckand have a blessed day. Nancy

Back
Top Bottom