My first time raising chicks!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by suprmomof2, Mar 18, 2013.

1. suprmomof2

suprmomof2 New Egg

Mar 24, 2012
    Hi all- I've been on this site for about a year now but have never posted anything! We are acquiring 2 babies tomorrow, and I want to be sure we are ready!! We have 3 grown leghorns in the movable tractor that we've had for about 2 yrs. I would love any feedback on how to raise the pullets and get them acquainted in the next couple of months.

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, suprmomof2, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us!! After a suitable time in their brooder, how I like to intro new birds is, once they are fully feathered, to put them in close visual proximity to the established birds for a few days - like maybe on the other side of a fence - in a cage or pen. That way they can all "meet" before the big day. After a couple days of that I like to let the older birds head to their coop and then place the newbies into the coop at dark - no light in the coop or the newbies will get picked on and they would be trapped! At first light I open up the coop for the same reason. Then I observe. The older birds are at the top of the pecking order and will let the new girls know that - it is usually more noisy than it is mean - that's just the world in which they live. If there are problems I isolate the picked on bird for a two or three days and do it all over again. Good luck to you!!

4. BuffBeck

BuffBeck Out Of The Brooder

Howdy, supermomof2! I'm new to Back Yard Chickens, as well. Welcome! [​IMG]
    Hope we can learn from each other & best wishes,
    BuffBeck :)

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Good luck with those chicks, and welcome to BYC.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by