My first time raising...have a sick/weak baby...need advice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Nsampsel, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Nsampsel

Nsampsel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2012
    East Central Ohio
    I got 3 batches of chicks & ducklings in the past week. A little bantum in the first batch seems to be very weak and is a good bit smaller than the rest of the bantums. I currently have it separated in it's own box with food, water & a heatlamp. I did this for most of a day a few days ago & it seemed to improve. But it has steadily gotten worse again since I put it back in, so I moved it to isolation again today. It keeps wanting to sit right back on it's butt with it's feet stretched out in front of it or lays down with it's little beak in the woodchips & almost looks dead. When you hold it it wants to stay against your hand even when you try to put it down (as if it were cold or needed you for balance).

Any advice? This is my 5 yr old son's favorite chick and he wants to hold it constantly, so I've had some trouble keeping him away from it.

2. notv

notv Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2009
    Portland, OR
    What does her poop look like? What is she eating?

Could be a vitamin deficiency. You could try poly-vi-sol (infant vitamin) without iron.

3. Nsampsel

Mar 6, 2012
    East Central Ohio
    It's too late...it died overnite. I think it was cuz it got wet & cold. I had the ducks in with the chicks the first night & this baby got wet. It just never seemed right after that.

4. Nsampsel

Mar 6, 2012
    East Central Ohio
    And it's poop looked just like all the others'. I do have a couple with "poop butt" tho. I just keep washing it off. Is there anything else I need to do?

5. notv

notv Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Sorry to hear about your chick.

As for the others with pasty butt, just make sure they don't stay pasty for too long and clean them up otherwise they can cause problems. https://www.google.com/search?q=chick+pasty+but

Good luck with the rest of the flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by