My first time seeing a broody hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by coolcanoechic, Apr 5, 2012.

1. coolcanoechic

coolcanoechic Chillin' With My Peeps

At least that is what I think she is doing.
    I came home today to find her in the nesting box and thought she was late laying an egg today, so I waited. I went back out later and thought she sure is taking her time! She was making purring noises, stood up and rolled an egg out from under her. Then she rolled it back and layed back down on it.
    I opened the coop door and put their daily treats in there to see if she would come out of the box.....NOPE! That is the highlight of her day when I come out with treats and she is usually bouncing off the run door screen to get out and have her treats.
    So, anyway, I think my chicken is broody. I'm guessing that I'm going to have to scoot her out of there and take the egg away. I have no roo's so it is not fertile. Geez! I feel sorry for her. Funny, I'm picking up 8 chicks tomorrow.
    Any comments on this are most welcome, since I have never seen this behavior before and I have never raised chicks before. Spring is in the air!

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Sounds like broody behavior to me! Maybe try slipping her the new chicks in the dark, that may make her happy :)

3. coolcanoechic

coolcanoechic Chillin' With My Peeps

Can you really do that?

4. Kadjain

Kadjain Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, you can really do that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by