My first time...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Poulets De Cajun, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

So I went out to my friends house today to help her with her birds, and get some stuff done arount the farm. As we were working around the coop, fixing things here and there she checked on the Roosters. She took her back up white Roo and noticed his vent area was extremely dirty. So she took him to the sink and started washing him. The next thing I hear is "Chris...... come look at this." I dropped what I was doing and walked over, thinking nothing of it, and certainly not expecting what I saw.

She flipped the bird over and he had this large gaping OPEN wound on his underside. I mean it had to be from his vent to the bottom of his breast. I don't know how he was still living. In any event, you could see the internal organs, the muscles, bones and everything else. And it was PACKED with maggots. I am assuming it is fly strike, because I don't know how else it would have happened being that he was in a single cage.

Needless to say, there wasn't any saving him. So guess who had to do the deed.... you guessed it. I didn't want to do the old ring the neck trick because I didn't want to sling organs everywhere, and I didn't want to try to do the popping of the neck because i've never done it and I didn't want it to be a drawn out deal, and I wasn't going to use the gun because I wasn't sure that I could do that either mostly because its been so long since I shot one. So to make it as quick, easy, and painless for the bird and myself, I opted for the ax and the chopping block. Let me say that I had to SIT down and smoke 3 cigarettes back to back to get my nerves settled and my blood flowing again. That bothered me some kind of crazy. I didn't realize I was that much of a wuss, but what can I say... I'm an animal lover.

So I can now claim one more experience in my chicken book......[​IMG]

2. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    oh my.. how was he walking around? The poor chicken.. [​IMG]

3. Poulets De Cajun

Quote:Haven't a clue.... I still don't know how he was even ALIVE! I really can't describe the gaping hole in his underside. It is just not something you ever want to see on one of your birds... put it that way.

4. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    I wonder how much longer he would have lived.. what did it to him?

5. Poulets De Cajun

Quote:I think it was fly strike. He couldn't have been injured by another bird because he was in a single cage. And short of catching his underside on the the wire floor, we dont know anything else that could have done it... we inspected the cage for loose wires and there was none.

6. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    What kind of cage was he in? I know you said he was by himself, but how big where the holes in his cage?

I know that rodents have been known to eat birds alive from their vents. It almost sounds similar to what this was..

-Kim

7. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    I am sorry- that had to have been tough

8. Poulets De Cajun

Quote:He was in a single wire bottom cage. It was fly strike because the maggots were all up in there.

9. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I've just never heard of flies doing this, solely by themselves. I am glad you were able to bring yourself to relieve him. I am sure he didn't feel to great. You did the best thing for him.

-Kim

10. Poulets De Cajun

Quote:Kim,

If you've never heard of it, you'd better check it out. Especially since its the summer and fly's are out in droves near horse stalls and chicken coops.

It is cause by biting flys. The flys bite the animal (chickens, horses, dogs, cows etc) and lay eggs inside the bits. The maggots grow by eating the animal inside out. At least thats the laymans version.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by