1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My First Time.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Erics Signs, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Erics Signs

Erics Signs Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2012
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]

I started out with 6 eggs in my homemade incubator. 3 Barred Rock Bantams and 3 Black French Marans. Two of the eggs I removed, after candling them, which were not fertile. (one of each) They went on lock down Sunday. It has been very interesting waiting to see what happened. There was so much movement on Sunday out of them, and then there was nothing for what seemed like forever. Once one pipped the others were not far behind. The Barred Rock beat the Maran out first this evening. As you can see from the photo the other two eggs have not saw much change in the pip, but there is still movement. I have several photos to post later. This has been an awesome experience and I have learned so much from this site. I have another incubator that I have made and it is about 2 days from going on lockdown. I have collected several more eggs this week that I hope to start soon.

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Congratulations

Keep us posted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  3. LuvMyRoo

LuvMyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2012
    Whoo hoo, congrats!

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Congrats!!
    [​IMG]

5. Erics Signs

Dec 27, 2012
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]

Before bed last night the Maran was out and running wild. When I woke up this morning the other Barred Rock was hatched and looked to be happy as well. All three of them were huddled around the last Maran eggs this morning when I took this last photo. I am not sure if it is going to make it, maybe they were cheering it on.
    I have them a nice brooder set up and ready for them as soon as they all fluff out. I will post some more photos soon.

[​IMG]

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    How exciting! Watch out for those corners-the smallest, weakest chick can get crushed by the stronger chicks.

7. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Your last egg has a pip it looks like? CONGRATS well done!!!

8. TweetyNPetey

TweetyNPetey Chillin' With My Peeps

Yay!!!! Your 3 (soon to be 4) peeps look healthy! Once they are puffy and fluffed up, you can move them to the brooder. I just use a plastic tub with a heat lamp over it, and it has worked for years!

9. Erics Signs

Dec 27, 2012
    North Carolina
    It does, and at lunch today it was zipping. I think it might actual make it!

10. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by