My First Try at Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by DarrellS, Mar 22, 2011.

1. DarrellS

DarrellS New Egg

Mar 1, 2011
    Three weeks ago in the brooder. I did not lose any, so I guess I did alright.

[​IMG]

While they were growing up I put together a new home for them. Measures 4x8x32". They seem to like it and they love their dirt pan I put in the open cage area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you see any problems with anything please let me know as I am just starting out.

2. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Nice pen and welcome to the forum...

3. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Lookin' good so far. [​IMG]
    A little hint of advise.......that looks like a 7 lb. feeder(?) If so, even though it's got the dividers around the perimeter of the feed-tray part of the feeder to help in preventing the birds from scratching / slinging feed-to-waste, they can still get over in there to "scratch" some feed-to-waste unless you hang it from the ceiling of the pen. I use double-loop chain on a little hanger from the ceiling so I can adjust the height as they grow. If you hang it, they won't get on it to waste the food with it moving. (It's a ground birds nature to "scratch-n-eat"......and you won't change that as long as they're alive.)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  4. peewee

peewee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    Fantastic job on both the birds and the pen. [​IMG] My only suggestion is to wrap the bottom of the pen with a "skirt" of some kind. Maybe more hardware mesh? Just so the 'coons can not get a hold of any toes threw the hardware mesh that you have down for the floor.

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:X2

6. B. Kossum

B. Kossum Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2010
    New myself- how would the OP clean under the cage if they wire it up?

7. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Move the cage or leave it loose on one end.

8. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:I have seen mine standing on wire, eating from a feeder, and scratch'in at the wire with both feet. Scratch a little bit and eat some more... Aint the brightest little guys but they are tasty!!!

9. kahlertm

kahlertm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Durango, Colorado
    You did fantastic work for first timer. I am right in there with ya! Great pen and follow these other Quail Jedi..and you won't be steered wrong![​IMG]

Tonya

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by