My first White Moutains.....now one died

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ncof300d, Jun 23, 2008.

1. ncof300d

ncof300d New Egg

Mar 11, 2008
    Edgerton, Ohio
    For my birthday (back in early March) my wife bought me some chicks. Of the group that she bought four were White Mountains. I had never heard of this variety before. Well, these birds are now huge and dwarf my old Rhode Island Red rooster who is the Commander and Chief of all of my chickens. Anyhow, as these White Mountains grew to there massive full size they started to become lethargic and lazy. It was to the point that I would pick them up and put them outside. This was the only way that they would move. They never seemed sick, but very lazy. Over the weeks three of the four would move around and one much more so than the others. I realized that these monsters (oh, by the way these are females) were as big as they were going to get. I was planning on butchering a few or all of them this last Saturday, however, Saturday was filled will thunderstorms and I was planning to butcher outside. (Since July of 2007 I do not mess around in thunderstorms as I was struck by lightening. Trust me, lightening does not feel good.) Due to the storms I thought that I would main a week. Well, today I come home to find one of White Mountains dead. This one was the one that would part herself in two places....in from of the watering pan or in front of the feeder. Bummer, I lost the bird and the feed put into it.

Anyhow in a nutshell does anyone else have any experience and or words of wisdom regarding this breed? With the four that I have now I don't think that I am interested in raising any more White Mountains.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  2. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Sorry about your girl.

3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    If you are referring to the White Mountains I'm thinking of, they are broilers. They're not programmed to live much beyond 12 weeks.

4. ncof300d

ncof300d New Egg

Mar 11, 2008
    Edgerton, Ohio
    Quote:Hmmm.....that is interesting to know. These are about 17 weeks would I would say that they were done growing a few weeks ago.

5. Ace_king_brahma

Ace_king_brahma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Castroville, Texas
    I'm hoping those aren't Braggs Mountain Whites.

6. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Quote:Would you explain why?

Just curious/nosey.

Thanks
    -Kim

7. Ace_king_brahma

Ace_king_brahma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Castroville, Texas
    Those are the only breed I've ever heard referred to as 'white mountains' and they are about... $124 for just 25 chicks.

8. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I think they are white mountain broilers that should probably have been slaughtered along time ago! Greyfields is correct they will all start to die soon !

sorry,
    Henry

9. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I googled "White Mountain Chickens" and all I got were Broilers.

Fast growing meat birds just don't last very long.

I'm sorry for you loss. You may want to consider what to do with the rest. I don't know how attached you are to them. Maybe you could eat the others, that way all that feed you mentioned won't go to waste. But, like I said before, I don't know how attached you are to these.

Thanks Ace, for clarifying, I just couldn't figure it out on my own.

-Kim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by