1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Fish had Babies!!!(Final Count 5 swordtails, 1 Fantailed Guppy Fry)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Sumatra503, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    Yesterday I looked intot he tank and there were three little baby fish. They are tiny and orange. I believe they are about two weeks old. They don't normally turn color until then.

The mom is an orange Swordtail, so I guess that's what color they'll be. Her name is Layla and her guy frind's name is Sid.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    That is so neat! Pictures please!!

3. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    watch they will eat them, my african cichlids had babies all the time, they would brood them in their mouths, it was cool to watch [​IMG]

4. babyblue

babyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    she most likely is still giving birth or the other 25-100 fry have already been eaten. if you would like them to make it to adulthood you will need a separate tank or a divider to prevent them from being eaten. fry are very easily stressed and killed so make sure any changes are slow and use clean tank water and do frequent but very slow water changes and they will grow very fast. once the fry are about 3/4 of an inch long their parents shouldn't be able to eat them.

to add, to prevent the ultra small fry from being sucked up into the filter (where at lest some of the other fry might be) take a brand new sheer nylon knee high sock and tie it around the intake valve, or else the filter sucks them right up and in.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  5. Sumatra503

Sep 24, 2010
    There were still four this morning when I looked! The forth must have been there all along and just hiding out.

I doubt my female is still giving birth, because these are not newborn fry. They are about two weeks old and have their full coloring. They are not fragile and silver newborns.

My tank has a lot of hiding places and i used large river stones for gravel in the tank. The little ones spend most of their time hiding in the gravel in a certain corner of the tank. They disapear completely from site. The other fish just seem to ignore them when they come out to eat. I feed twice per day and feed two separate foods per feeding. The regular fish flakes and some that are fine ground.

If I were going to separate them I would use a breeding net instead of a divider or a separate tank. This way the water quality would be the same. They appaer fine for now and are able to hide away, so I'll probably just leave them alone.

I love watching the little ones when they come out to eat. They are so tiny and cute. They look exactly like miniature Laylas.

Sorry no pics. My computer won't let me upload any.

6. Sumatra503

Sep 24, 2010
    There were only three this morning, but I only see the forth one occassionally. I only know it when I see four little fish all at once. My fantailed guppy lookes like she's getting close too! Soon i'll be over run with little adorable fish!!!

I'll be going down to see if the pet supply store has a breeding net. I'm going to need it if this keeps up.

7. chicken boy sam

chicken boy sam Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    I have feeder fish in my pond and they breed....so cool to see their little fry! I got one albino/pinkish one from my spring batch, and another one in the late summer/fall batch, too.... A few of my females died from the males trying to breed her.... any way to stop that???

Oh, I have 10 gallon tank, too....are there any fish that would be able to breed in there?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  8. Sumatra503

Sep 24, 2010
    You just have to make sure the number of males isn't too high. I'd say one male per about 6 females. Any higher and you risk overbreeding. It is caused by too many males trying to breed the females at once.

9. chicken boy sam

chicken boy sam Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    How do you tell the difference?

10. Sumatra503

Sep 24, 2010
    I'm really not sure with the feeders. I'll google it and see.

I didn't find much. Supposedly the males are smaller and thinner than the females, but that was the only thing i found. Also the males will be chasing the females in a circular motion in the pond. The male will be the one chasing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by