My fix for my duckling water/poo messiness issue

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by WVduckchick, Mar 29, 2015.

1. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    So I adapted a few ideas from others and here's what I came up with to help me with clean-out from my duckings making such a mess with water and poop.

I bought this cute little chicken coop, but wanted to put my ducks in the bottom, so we made a 2x4 frame, covered one end with 1 x 1/2 hardwire cloth, and the other two-thirds with a sheet of luan board. Sat the entire coop on top of the frame we made. I got a rabbit waste pan 24x24 and can slide it in and out under the mesh side for easy cleaning. They seem to like their new home. At least for a few more weeks until they can go outside. Does anyone see any issues that I may have missed?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Beautiful! I would put an old towel over the hardware cloth to keep them from cutting their little feet, and having foot infection issues. Aside from that, I applaud! Pretty, and functional for waterfowl babies.
    [​IMG]

I am a little slow this evening. Will you be modifying the ramp for them when the time comes? Or is there another plan?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  3. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Thanks. The mesh is actually 1/2" x 1/2" and its pretty smooth. They whole purpose of having the water over it is so the poo and splash water will fall into the pan below. Most ideas I saw used a raised platform for the water. I just raised the whole floor. I will check for areas that could hurt their feet though.

As far as the ramp, I also have 2 new comet chicks and a turkey in another brooder. I'm debating putting them in the top of this, so the ramp will depend if they all integrate well. I'll either put a bottom on the ramp or take it out. Or I may add another run for the chicks and move the ramp. Not sure yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by