My Flemis doe kindled 9 kits.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by shellikirbey, Jan 22, 2017.

1. shellikirbey

shellikirbey Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2016
    Eldorado Springs, Mo
    My flemish kindled 9 healthy kits this morning and a peanut that wasnt alive..Will she be able to feed thus many? Ive never had 9 kits before so makung sure as u just started raisung rabbits last summer..[​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Congratulations on the litter! The doe may be able to feed all of the kits, or not: it varies with each rabbit. You can help her produce as much milk as possible by free feeding her quality pellets and possibly supplementing with high protein treats like calf manna or sunflower seeds.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  3. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Glad to hear that you have 9 healthy kits...and my condolences on the peanut. 9 should be manageable, but like @BantamLover21 said, it depends on the doe. Be sure to check regularly to ensure that all the kits are being fed (look for the "frog bellies"). I try to have 2 does kindle at the same time just in case some of the kits need to be fostered; I know this isn't always possible for a number of reasons, but it's saved kits.
    Enjoy those little ones! Looking forward to seeing more pics of them as they grow. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Congrats on the litter!

9 is a reasonable number; most rabbits can raise that many with no problems.

But just one thing - the one she lost was NOT a "peanut." There are many reasons why baby rabbits might not survive, but "peanut" is a specific situation that occurs in dwarf breeds where a baby rabbit inherits two copies of the dwarfing gene. Flemish Giants don't have any copies of the dwarfing gene, ever, so it's not possible for any of their babies to be peanuts. Dead babies are always a sad thing, whatever the cause - my condolences.

5. shellikirbey

Feb 17, 2016
    Eldorado Springs, Mo
    Oh ok..it look real tiny and only stubs for legs and barely a mouth..so maybe just
    Didnt develope right i guess..thanks.

6. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    From your description, it sounds like the placenta came unattached a few days before the kit was fully developed. The placenta is a sort of temporary organ that forms at the point that the embryo attaches to the inside of the mother's uterus. It's more than just a place where the umbilical cord plugs in; the placenta is a sort of third partner between the mother and baby that plays a major role in the development process. It's hard to say exactly why a baby might quit like that, though IME, it happens more with large litters and older does. I have occasionally had a litter that contained several at various stages of development; sometimes things just get too crowded inside the doe as the babies develop, and apparently some just can't compete (though I understand the Guiness' Book of World Records has rabbits on record that gave birth to 24 kits in a single litter).

1 person likes this.
  7. shellikirbey

Feb 17, 2016
    Eldorado Springs, Mo
    Wow thats a lot of kits..lol she had ten but the one was dead.so far these babys have a tummy sticking out a ways.some more than others.im gonna keep checking them and tomorrow im gonna pik up some calf manna..i think it might be a good to give to all my nursing moms anyway as i looked it up..thanks everyone..i appreciate it

8. balloonflower

balloonflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2016
    How are the little ones doing?

9. shellikirbey

Feb 17, 2016
    Eldorado Springs, Mo
    [​IMG]So far seems good..i took them out this morning and linef them up to look them over and they all have at some tummy..some bigger thsn others.one of them seems like not much tummy but looks like he still has a lil tumny tho.im gonna keep watchin them..hetes a new pictures.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  10. balloonflower

balloonflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2016
    Awww!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by