1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Flemish Baby

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Mom2IrishBoys, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Mom2IrishBoys

Mom2IrishBoys Just Hatched

Mar 25, 2017
    I picked up this 9 wk old baby yesterday. I was told it's a doe, but I haven't checked to confirm yet. I am aware that my baby isn't a 'normal' color. She is pure, as i seen both her parents.. they just weren't a proper color match for breeding. Mom is Sandy and dad is light grey. Her litter mates had 5 sandies and 2 super light grey/silver. But I fell in love with the color, and I'm obviously not going to show at all. Just looking for an awsome pet. I THINK I'm going to name her Sterling, but I'm not 100% yet.

2. Mom2IrishBoys

Mar 25, 2017
    Ugh. For some reason my pics aren't posting :-(

3. Mom2IrishBoys

Mar 25, 2017
    [​IMG]

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She does look a little light for a Light Gray Flemish, but that could change as she gets older. Cute rabbit, whatever her true color is.

5. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    She's a color sometimes called a "Ghost Chinchilla." Ghost Chins have the wide-band gene widening the light colored band in the middle of their body hairs, which leaves just a tiny black tip on the hairs. It's pretty similar in appearance to what in Lop breeds is called "Frosty," though it's a little different genetically. Wide band is recessive; for there to have been any wide-band colors (Sandy is pretty much the wide band version of Chestnut) in the litter, the light grey parent had to be carrying the wide band gene too; and the Sandy parent had to be carrying Chinchilla or REW for there to be any type of Chins in the litter.

Pretty bunny - congrats on your new pet!

6. balloonflower

balloonflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2016
    She is adorable! Congrats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by