My flemish giant rabbit had babys this morning and its below freezing out this whole week.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by shellikirbey, Dec 17, 2016.

1. shellikirbey

shellikirbey Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2016
    Eldorado Springs, Mo
    Its her first litter and one was on wire so i brought them in and put in my xlarge pet cage with hay and made a nest like she had and put her fur back on them.im hopeing it doesnt upset her and she doesnt take care of them..so far she seems ok..shes stretched out in cage in front of nest and i covered the cage up with a sheet so she wouldnt be stressed..

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  2. DutchBunny03

DutchBunny03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern NY
    She sounds like she's doing great. Don't be worried if she doesnt spend a lot of time in the nest box; most rabbits only feed their kits a couple times a day.

1 person likes this.
  3. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

what @DutchBunny03 said; mothers will only feed their kits for about 5 minutes, once or twice a day - you might not even see it happen. Just check daily for "frog bellies" to make sure everyone's being fed.

Congrats! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. shellikirbey

Feb 17, 2016
    Eldorado Springs, Mo
    Ok thanks

5. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    Sounds good. She will only get into the nest box twice a day. Usually in the morning, then again in the evening. The babies start to uncover themselves when it's time to eat. She hops in, stands over them so they can nurse, then hops back out. Whole process takes about 3 minutes. In the wild they visit the nest this way in order to keep preditors from following them to the nest. Most rabbits don't have a problem with cold. Heat is the thing that will get them. They can't take that fur coat off. Some people just bring in the nest boxes between feedings. Take them to the doe twice a day when the temps get below 20 or so.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  6. shellikirbey

Feb 17, 2016
    Eldorado Springs, Mo
    Oh ok..yea i had a problem with breeding during the summer but it got pretty hot.out of my two bucks i got nothing til now but one was just getting to breeding age too and was hot.this one had a false pregnancy the first breeding and this was her second breeding with three babys that seem to be really healthy..moving alot and now have fuller tummys.she still seems kinda fat but she may have ate more too..

7. shellikirbey

Feb 17, 2016
    Eldorado Springs, Mo
    [​IMG][​IMG]

8. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    As long as she's not hanging out in the nest box, all is well. You don't want her using it for a toilet. She's a black Rex. Very lovely. I used to raise and show Castor Rex. The babies appear to be one black(maybe blue). One possibly red, and one Castor. What fun. Kits are so cute! :D

1 person likes this.
  9. DutchBunny03

DutchBunny03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern NY
    They're adorable[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. shellikirbey

Feb 17, 2016
    Eldorado Springs, Mo
    Thanks..she been such a good mom for her first litter..tummys are so big now..looks like there gonna bust..lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by