My flock & berries

DriftingBalloon

Hatching
Sep 18, 2016
I have quite a few different kinds of berries in my yard. I found identification for some. One kind was dogwood berries (like these)

And another was pokeweed: (this stuff is everywhere)

Are either of these safe for chickens?

Other berries in my yard:
Holly: (not ripe/red yet)

Nightshade (I think) :

Note: This is my first post here, i just joined, so I'm not completely sure if this belongs under this category...

Welcome! The answer is; it depends. Birds can eat some berries that we can't handle, and in general, if your flock has space and many other choices to eat, they should be fine. I do pull the nightshade out as I find it, although I am a very lazy gardener, and mostly ignore the pokeweed. My chickens seem to ignore those plants and eat other stuff. If your birds are confined and fed toxic plants without having other choices, it would be a different situation. Mary

My chickens are penned, but they have lots of room. At almost all times, they have access to: chicken feed, reject garden goodies (fallen fruits and vegetables), weeds from said garden, and, of course, dirt to dig for bugs and stuff in. Is that enough options, in combination with a limited amount of said berries?

Back
Top Bottom