My flock celebrates each pullet who lays her first egg...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WriterChick, Sep 21, 2011.

1. WriterChick

WriterChick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Maine
    This I was not expecting, but upon observation for the past week and a half I have seen the flock "celebrate" a young pullet laying her first egg. While the young hen is in the nest box laboring to bring forth her first egg, the rest of the flock moves about the run calling, cackling, shrieking, and singing (loudly). One or two of them will stroll into the henhouse to check on the progress, then rejoin the other for more celebrating. When the egg is finally laid, everyone goes about her own business.

This has happened for each hen while laying her first egg (and they are all the same age - so everyone is coming into lay at about the same time). It is so charming. I'm just in awe of these birds!

Has anyone else noticed this happening?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  2. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    That's so cool [​IMG]

3. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    That's pretty neat! Wish mine did that; I love hearing the egg song, it would be great in stereo!

4. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    I have observed ours all sitting on the roost cheering the others on! It is quite endearing, isn't it?

5. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    That is so cool -- what an interesting observation! My little adolescent girls keep approaching the nest box and walking away from it, approaching again. They are almost ready... almost!

Jenny

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by