1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My flock does not like the sun?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sunflour, Feb 12, 2015.

1. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I have noticed that my flock of 6 hens avoid the sunny parts of their run even in cold weather.

On cloudy days, they move around all areas. On sunny days they stay in the shady parts of their run until mid-day when most areas are shaded by the roof. They don't seem to avoid afternoon sunny spots.

Today I lowered a shade on the front of the run to see what they would do, and they spent all morning in the area.

I am trying to figure why they would do this. It would seem they would like the sun especially on really cold days. All I can guess is they don't like the low angle of the sun in the mornings?

Has anyone ever noticed this in your flocks?

Maybe the girls are just trying to confuse me..[​IMG]

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

My hens are very careful about venturing forth when the sun is high in the sky, as they cannot see the hawks and eagles circling overhead when the sun is in their eyes. They will come for treats but then hastily beat a retreat to their covered area, and come back later in the day to finish their treats.

1 person likes this.
  3. ShelleyN

ShelleyN Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Agree.

1 person likes this.
  4. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Thanks for the response. Mine don't free range, but I thought it might be a survival instinct and that the sun in their eyes in other situations might pose danger.

5. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Update, I was wrong:

With further observation, it is not the sun they avoid, but winds. Today was sunny and calm and they played, scratched around in the sunny areas. Seems that the days they avoid the sunny area is because of wind and the shady areas have wind blocks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by