1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My flock goes from one sickness to another. I really need some help.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dolfi, Feb 23, 2016.

1. dolfi

dolfi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    kissimmee, florida
    My chicken math is growing yet not to how much I have incubated and bought. I loose at least 8 chicks a week.
    First it was flow pox and now I thought it was coccidiosis. I gave them corid for a week and I still am losing them. I have them now on a wire cage. They have 5 weeks and seems to be always cold. Temperature outside is in the high 80, (Florida) and they still are suffocating each other.
    I need help.

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Are they in a wire cage outdoors? At that age, they still need to be protected from drafts.

3. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Can we see a picture of the cage and chicks so we can get an idea of your set up?

4. dolfi

Apr 23, 2013
    kissimmee, florida
    I thought that they needed ventilation as well. How can I accommodate them outside?

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Do you have a coop and run ready for them to move into? At their age that's where they really should be rather then in a brooder or cage situation. How many chicks do you have and how much space are they in? Pic's would definitely help.

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

There is a huge difference between ventilation and wind blowng on them.

7. dolfi

Apr 23, 2013
    kissimmee, florida
    [​IMG]

8. dolfi

Apr 23, 2013
    kissimmee, florida
    [​IMG]

9. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Way too drafty. And that wire bottom doesn't look very safe for little chick feet. If you can set that flat on the ground and put plywood around the sides, but leave the top open, they would do much better.

10. dolfi

Apr 23, 2013
    kissimmee, florida
    The thing is that I did have this on the ground and had all the sides covered. Maybe if I cover all sides and leave it high?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by