My flock has been exposed to Marek's, now what?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by saritastar, Oct 11, 2011.

1. saritastar

saritastar Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2010
    Spokane, WA
    Well, it's a long story, but the bare bones is: I got 3 new chickens that I quarantined but through inexperience and in hindsight, poor judgment, they ended up close enough to my old flock to expose them to it. I don't know if this is the kind of thing that people get flamed for, but I feel sick and heartbroken and stupid so I don't need anymore of that. I need help.

I culled all 3 new birds. Now I'm feeling at a loss about what to do about my other chickens. I have them sectioned off in the yard (they were free range for the most part) but there are two spots in my yard where the sick chickens were in the tractor. Can I use a heat torch on those areas of the ground?

I read about oxine and plan to use it in the coop and maybe dump it on the ground instead of torching. I have ACV and probiotics in their water. But what else can be done for exposed chickens?

[​IMG]

Any help or advise is much appreciated.

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Did you have anecropsy done? Have you had confirmation that marek's was present?

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    How old are your other birds?

I have vaccine here on hand if they are at risk. Please pm me who you bought the cochins from.....

4. saritastar

Apr 2, 2010
    Spokane, WA
    I didn't have a necropsy done. I can't afford one. My vet did tell me they do free necropcies in Pullman but that's 2.5 hours away from me and my car is too old for that. However, my first bird started with paralyzed feet, that then went to it's legs (one leg splayed forward, one splayed back) and then wings, then diarrhea and I culled after noticing that. The second bird was starting to act sick. A friend who purchased chickens from the same place with me had one get sick, wings went paralyzed, dead the next day. That chicken hadn't been around mine for the last month. So, that is why I think it's Marek's.

My established flock was hatched in late May. From what I've read, it doesn't work if they are that old? And that if they've been exposed they shouldn't have the vaccine? I'm willing to be wrong on both of those things and get the vaccine. [​IMG]

I'll pm you pips&peeps.

5. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    I am having the same problem except I am waiting on the necropsy report to confirm. In the meantime, I plan on vaccinating everything. Since, as far as I've read, it can't hurt and just might help, I'm willing to try anything!!!

6. saritastar

Apr 2, 2010
    Spokane, WA
    Quote:How long do you have to wait for the results? My friends chicken just died this morning so maybe she still has it. Maybe she'll get one if I suggest it.

7. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    I've been waiting for two weeks...it's driving me crazy!!!!! I would suggest it to your friend. You really need to know for sure what you are dealing with...I am hoping against hope that it isn't Marek's...but this wait is killing me

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by