my flock is 9 months old...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Spongegirl, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Spongegirl

Spongegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    middle earth
    Hi. I have 5 silkies hens, 1 silkie rooster, and 1 frizzle cochin rooster. I have 21 eggs so far. They are fertilized too. I'm in Kentucky and it is single digits right now. Guess they're happy ;) I think only a couple of them are laying so they have been goin at it for a while now :) I am surprised...this is my first flock and attempt at a breeding program. I'm learning as I go and everything I know, right here, thank you.

2. Spongegirl

Jun 4, 2011
    middle earth
    Oh crap, that was supposed to be posted under someone's question about when hens start to lay eggs. I didn't mean to make this my own thread...oh well...I have questions anyways so I'll just ask now..

I am incubating the eggs now that I am getting. I just set 6 ( I have learned a lot of new chicken lingo in the last 48 hours) today in a little giant. I am also confident that I want to make my own incubator so I've been reading a bunch around those threads too.

I took for granted that those chickens wouldn't have eggs in this cold but its all about the light, isn't it? I didn't even find the eggs until there were 17! That's a total of 23! wow! Found them at just the right time.

This should be fun.

3. Spongegirl

Jun 4, 2011
    middle earth
    I would like to know if anyone has any show quality silkie eggs to sell? My incubator awaits. My silkie hens are not that pretty... The rooster is lovely though. I'd like to hatch what im working with now and then when the first chick makes it, I'll step up my game ;) and get some show birds. Thank you!

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Where are you in Kentucky?

I'm in Jamestown, Tn which is very close to the Kentucky border. I don't have eggs available right now, but will in a few weeks [​IMG]
    My rooster:
    [​IMG]
    One of my hens:
    [​IMG]
    Not so great pic of one of my splash hens (this is an old picture of her, it was all I could find):
    [​IMG]
    Eggs from my Sizzle project are also a possibility, since she lives with my Silkies:
    [​IMG]
    All of the chicks will be blue or black, no splashes until I either find or grow myself a blue rooster.

If you're within driving distance, I'd be more than happy to donate some eggs to a fellow BYC member [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  5. Spongegirl

Jun 4, 2011
    middle earth
    Hey there.
    Thank you so much! That would be a sweet road trip. I live in Henderson which is on the Evansville Indiana border. Looks like we might be about 3 1/2 hours apart. I go in that direction to go to Nolan Lake and I could make a trip to get some! yours are gorgeous! Looks we have the same loves...the sizzle and the silkie ;) My frizzle roo is a curly.

Why is it that everyone said that there wont be show quality from hatcheries? I don't get it.

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Thanks so much! I think they're gorgeous, but I could be a little partial [​IMG]

I simply ADORE my Sizzle and Silkies, they definitely stole my heart [​IMG]
    Whenever you'd like to get them, just PM me and give me a week or so heads up and I'll give you whatever I collect. We just recently moved here, so my flock is pretty small right now (4 hens, 1 rooster), so it takes me a bit to gather a good amount of eggs [​IMG]
    Hatcheries are breeding for quantity, not so much quality. Whatever is in their breeding pen is just mixing together all Willy nilly. I've had some really great birds from hatcheries, and I've had others that made me down right angry or heart broken. My Sizzle came from a curly Cochin hen (that I suspect came from a hatchery, I got her from another BYC member bc her flock was picking on her). She was sweet and adorable, but I always felt bad for her when the cold weather rolled around, even tho it didn't seem to bother her. I got cold just looking at her!

7. Spongegirl

Jun 4, 2011
    middle earth
    So now I have to fix a problem...some or all of the chickens are eating the eggs that Im gathering for incubating. I am certain this is no other animal. I also caught a hen red handed. I know at least 5 eggs have been eaten. I've read the forum advice. I will have a hard time culling anything. I suppose I will start a separate coop. I have an extra one that needs a roof. I can tarp it I supposed. Better go do that! Crap! I cant just put one bird all alone either. oh my! I do have 7 eggs total that are on day 4 ;) But I should be getting a couple of eggs every day since I have 4 hens.
    As soon as these babies hatch, I'm movin' up to show quality! fun fun!

Also, here's what I noticed...
    the birds produced 17 eggs before I even found them in 3 different nesting spots. Once I gathered them and the hay was disturbed and everything from cleaning, then they have eaten them ever since. It feels like they are flipping me the bird, pun intended. Now, I'm not getting one a day. Ive been checking many times throughout the day as well.

8. Spongegirl

Jun 4, 2011
    middle earth
    Well I put eggs on the ground around them and i dont think most of them are eating eggs yet so hopefully i solved the problem. I separated the flock. With two roosters, one silkie buff and one white curly frizzle cochin, each gets a silkie white and a silkie buff hen. The frizzle gets an extra blue silkie hen.

also...I candled my eggs today and saw veins! woo! so neat, no wonder its so addictive.

9. Spongegirl

Jun 4, 2011
    middle earth
    So day 10 and 6 out of 6 eggs are growing, I have collected 5 since, adding them to incubator each day. Only one of those has not developed. It has that speckled pitted look to it. Also, something I noticed, out of the original 6 all set at the same time, the seem to be developing at different rates...a couple of them are way more progressed than the others. Wonder what's goin on there.

Just a little chicken drama...I mentioned that I divided my 2 roos and gave them their own hens...lol the silkie rooster is the "one"...the curly frizzle doesn't stand a chance with him around. So I let the silkie roo and his hens out to be with the rest and he was so mad at the frizzle! Beat him up and then covered every hen in under a minute ;) That got the frizzle trying to do the same only to get beat some more. oh my! lol

Speaking of the frizzle...He is little and really cant get over a hen. He tries. But they are stronger and bigger than him and get away. Will he get there? I need more frizzles. This is a must.

Also, the hens aren't laying like they should. I don't really know what "should" is but I think I should be getting more than one every other day. I need a read a thread that talks about why hens might not be laying regularly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by