My flock keeps dying.

124chick

Hatching
Apr 3, 2020
I lost my first flock a while back to a weasel. I was devastated but I replaced them then next year. Since then every flock I buy dies of natural causes. No animal attacks. I figured that it was because I hadn't vaccinated my second flock so I vaccinated my 3rd and then watched them die as well. It was heart breaking. Any idea on what I can do to finally get a full and healthy flock?

I'm so sorry to hear about your misfortunes :hugs

Can you be more specific on what you saw when your birds sickened? And where you got them, how old they were, how old they were when they died, what they were eating, any deworming, or anything else you think might be relevant?
They were about 2/3 months old. While confined to thier indoor boxes they grew till they had all of their feathers then I put them outside in the coop( never less then 70° but highs of 90s). I have one chicken that survived from the second batch (of 13) but every other one died like the chickens stopped growing in the coop. Every day at least one was dead. They didn't struggle to breath or anything like that the day before. They did seem lethargic though before they died. They didn't walk different or sleep more or anything they were just not as active as they were when they were indoors.

They were about 2/3 months old. While confined to thier indoor boxes they grew till they had all of their feathers then I put them outside in the coop( never less then 70° but highs of 90s). I have one chicken that survived from the second batch (of 13) but every other one died like the chickens stopped growing in the coop. Every day at least one was dead. They didn't struggle to breath or anything like that the day before. They did seem lethargic though before they died. They didn't walk different or sleep more or anything they were just not as active as they were when they were indoors.
What were they eating at the time? What was their diet like?

You are not supposed to feed young chicks layer feed. It can cause their organs to shut down. If you have little ones mixed in with older ones, you are supposed to feed them all chick starter. I would suggest trying that.
You don’t feed layer feed until they are actually laying eggs and you don’t give layer feed to baby chicks, sorry for your misfortune:(

Back
Top Bottom