1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

My flock of 12 are growing quickly. (lots of pics, and link to video)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by danab, Oct 22, 2009.

1. danab

danab Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2009
    So Cal
    I cannot believe how quickly these little girls have grown. When I first joined this forum I had just the 4 week old chicks, 2 EE and 2 Reds(that I had thought were BO's).
    Then my neighbor got his 8 from MPC and told me he did not want to give me half right away, but wanted to start them first. Well his wife got mad at all the poo in her backyard, so he gave me all 8 about a month ago. They are about 3 weeks younger than my orignal 4.
    So I had no problems introducing 8 to a flock of 4. But now after more than a month, they still stay very segregated when running loose in the yard. The 8 in one part of the yard, the 4 in another. But whenever I open the door to the backyard, they all come running so fast to see what I have for them.
    They still have to fight for food. The original 4 don't like to let them have any. Only one, the EE named Bella, really picks on them outside of feeding time. I feel so bad for the little bantam Buff Brahmas. Good thing they are fast enough to get away.

Well anyway, I just wanted to give an update. So I am including some pics that show how they have grown.

And this link is a quick video I made of them this week.

2. danab

Jul 24, 2009
    So Cal
    End of July 2009.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    I love your flock!

You think you love them now, just wait untill they start laying.

Thanks for sharing!

4. danab

Jul 24, 2009
    So Cal
    Exploring outside for the first time in early August 09.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. danab

Jul 24, 2009
    So Cal
    August 12 2009

EE named Bella
    [​IMG][​IMG]

EE named Dora
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Two Reds named Molly and Ginny
    [​IMG]

6. danab

Jul 24, 2009
    So Cal
    End of August 09
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    They grow so quickly! [​IMG]

8. danab

Jul 24, 2009
    So Cal
    Now all 12 are living together in my backyard. They have free range all day long. I just have to watch out for some neighborhood cats that like to come check them out. They do a good job of letting us know when something comes into the yard.
    I am going to have to fence out my garden soon. They eat everything. A small cinderella pumpkin, all the leaves from a bell pepper plant, arugula leaves, and everything else. I planted a small patch of lettuce and cabbage that I am keeping them out of. But as soon as it gets a decent size, it will be all for them.

Present day.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

9. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Great pics and video. [​IMG]

They grow so fast its hard to believe. I better go take pics of mine as they grow up. [​IMG]

10. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Your BB's are beautiful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by