My flock...or most of it....

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by cmferrante, Aug 8, 2013.

1. cmferrante

cmferrante Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    So, new to the forum figured I'd put some pictures of my flock up. I'm looking to expand to free range we'll see how it goes and and advice would be great.

I have 3 years worth of layers. the previous manager was not great at managing them and now I am trying to bring the flock back to actually laying. Total...i have about 90 birds. We get 30ish birds a year but skipped a year. So, we have 30ish that were delivered USPS March 5. 10 "Araucana" pullet, 10 Buff Orpington pullet, 15 Buff Brahma straight run. Wasn't really sure what i was looking for, but wanted a rooster that would be hardy up here in Mass and would lay through the winter. Anyway, skip to now...One of the Buff Orpingtons turned out to be a boy...and i've chosen him to maintain the flock. He's great with the girls...protects them and calls them in and out. When there's a loud noise or something weird going on...he'll gather them up and go inside. The other boys turned out from the Buff Brahmas....MEAN MEAN birds. so...they went to the soup pot. I'm still trying to cull the other boys..some i'm not sure enough to get rid of yet. Maybe I can get help with that here.

The other chickens in the 16 box side of the coop, which is a converted milking parlor...are 60ish random birds. mostly buff orpingtons, few rhode island reds? and a couple "Araucana"

I'm not sure any of my araucana are actually araucans, but EE's. Again...maybe a little help here would be great.

Now...pictures....[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Mr man tending the flock

Araucana eggs? both from the same age chickens...
    [​IMG]
    All these eggs were collected over a week from the birds delivered on March 5.
    [​IMG]
    This guy was a freebie...he was attacked by the new chickens so...not sure what to do with him. He's super friendly.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cmferrante

Aug 7, 2013
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. cmferrante

Aug 7, 2013
    Main flock's coop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    no flash
    [​IMG]
    w/ flash
    [​IMG]

new flocks coop.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. cmferrante

Aug 7, 2013
    older birds..2 years old?
    [​IMG]

Broody mom, there's 12 eggs under her.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    new birds, maybe a roo on the right.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Look at the way the neck feathers fall...rooster?
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by