My flock, verify breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by newkfarm, Mar 28, 2017.

1. newkfarm

newkfarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2017
    Indiana
    I want to verify that I hand the correct breeds after hearing that some people were sold the wrong breeds at some major retailers.
    I believe the following pics to be 3 of the 4 Ameraucana pullets.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Next are my two jersey giants, one roo and one pullet
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Golden laced Wyandotte, both supposed to be pullets
    [​IMG]

I'll stop for now with this last one, RHRed, thinking it may be a roo or a very dominant pullet? Behaves a lot like the jersey giant roo, but hasn't developed other roo characteristics.
    [​IMG]

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    WHat you are called Ameraucanas are actually considered Easter Eggers (unless you got them from a top-notch breeder but those chicks can cost a lot of money...) and they all look like pullets, your Jerseys seem to be right, and it looks like you just have a very bossy RIR :)

3. newkfarm

Mar 16, 2017
    Indiana
    I was afraid they might be EE's after doing some reading on BYC. Not what I wanted to hear, but thank you.

4. sshrader

sshrader Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2016
    Arkansas
    EE's are fantastic birds. I have several EE's and a couple pure Ameraucanas. The EE's are much more friendly and not as skittish as my Ameraucanas.

1 person likes this.
  5. newkfarm

Mar 16, 2017
    Indiana
    They are very pretty, I'll just have to learn a little more about them. I was excited when I seen the farm store had them marked for sale as Ameraucanas because it had been several years since I'd seen any for sale. I had some 15/16 years ago. I'd never heard of EE until the last few years, but I haven't done much in the way of breed research till now. I'm sure I'll love them the same, they are my prettiest of the flock, it's just the disappointment of not getting what I thought I had gotten.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The "Ameraucanas" are actually Easter Eggers. The others are probably what they're supposed to be. The Rhode Island Red (more of a Production Red) could be a cockerel, but it is too young to tell gender for sure.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x2

8. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Your Ameraucana 15/16 years ago were also probably Easter Eggers. It's a little to be certain of gender, with the exception of that very early developing Jersey Giant.

1 person likes this.
  9. newkfarm

Mar 16, 2017
    Indiana
    We lost two of our eastereggers to a wind-flipped coop exposing the chicks to the dogs. :( my favorite one didn't make it. I have one brown one and one white left. We lost a total of 6 pullets last night and have 3 injured that are being nursed back to health hopefully.
    This is the surviving white ee.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by