My flock won't eat their food

Chickener_

In the Brooder
May 26, 2021
My pullets are at the age where I could finally change them to their layer feed. I also got them a scratch mix as a little treat. :) only problem is that now they won't eat their layer feed but go crazy over the scratch mix. when I started them on the layer feed I mixed it with their older feed so that they could gradually move on to prevent digestive issues. I thought maybe they just weren't used to it but it's been two weeks and still, they refuse to eat it! is there any way I can get them to eat?

Given the option, I think all of my poultry would prefer to eat scratch -- it's like candy. My GUESS is that if layer feed is their only option (are they also able to roam around and eat grass and bugs and such?), they will decide that layer feed is better than hunger.

Good luck with your picky eaters!

My pullets are at the age where I could finally change them to their layer feed. I also got them a scratch mix as a little treat. :) only problem is that now they won't eat their layer feed but go crazy over the scratch mix.
Yeah, I learned with my first Flock that chickens love Scratch Grains.
I enjoyed tossing Scratch in their pen 3 times daily.
Well shortly after they started to lay, I was getting funky and thin shelled eggs.
That's when I joined BYC.
Limit Scratch to 1 Tbsp daily per chicken, (1/2 Tbsp before 1st egg) scattered in their pen.
I don't give Scratch till 10 weeks old.
My newest Flock is 2 months old today, they'll get their first treat of Scratch next week.
I use a 2 Tbsp coffee scoop for my two small flocks, heaping full it holds 3 Tbsp.
I open my coops and turn on lights at 5 am daily year-round.
I don't give them their treat of Scratch till 9 am when I check for eggs, 4 hours later, so they fill up on feed.
If yours haven't touched the feed I would dump the feeder, clean and refill with fresh feed. GC

I can't imagine they will not eat the new food, if it's the only food you give them. No more treats (scratch, vegi's, whatever), until they start eating their new food consistently. Is their new food pellets and the old was crumble? If so, that's two changes at once, and they probably are double freaked. Have you tried making a mush out of the food? Add some food to a pie pan or other low sided container, add enough warm water so it absorbs. I tend to make mush with more a "mashed potato" consistency.

Back
Top Bottom