My flock won't let the new girl roost?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MessicaShain, May 5, 2017.

1. MessicaShain

MessicaShain Just Hatched

Feb 9, 2017
    [​IMG]I've been shoving them aside and just pushing her on the roost at night for a few nights now just after dark. She usually just waits for me on top of the coop.
    Just wondering how long it could take before they accept her into their clan... is there any chance they could deny her?
    I may end up traveling this summer and I'm afraid the chicken sitter won't have as easy a time with the chickens when I'm gone. I hate for them to be left locked in the run all day. It's super lame in there.
    Any help appreciated to get these girls bonded!

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It is very difficult to add a single bird to an established flock. They see the outsider as a threat to the well being of the flock.
    The best thing you can do is to remove a couple of the biggest bullies for a week or two. Then, when you return them, they'll be the new birds.

3. MessicaShain

Feb 9, 2017
    I have no where to put them.. and it's really only one. My flock is only 5 girls + the newbie and the biggest "bully" is a Delaware... not really sure how I could separate them.

4. Eckielady

Eckielady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2017
    East Tennessee
    I pulled a bully out and put her in time out for a night. Worked amazingly well although maybe too well. She was completely knocked out of her place in the order and the rooster still punishes her for staying out all night. I think it broke her little spirit but man, she was being brutal and it had to be done.

5. Kwimmer78

Kwimmer78 Just Hatched

May 5, 2017
    New Hampshire
    To get one hen in, you need to have two of them so they are accepted

6. MessicaShain

Feb 9, 2017
    I separated the two bullies from feeding this afternoon. They got to watch everyone eat and could eat when everyone else was done lol. I don't have a rooster... I wonder if removing them for a night would work? Hmmmm [​IMG]

7. Eckielady

Eckielady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2017
    East Tennessee

Ya, I think she'd have to have a night where she can easily get up on the roost without being bothered. I hear a lot about time outs for days at a time. Maybe I got lucky but one night was all it took.

8. MessicaShain

Feb 9, 2017
    I'm gonna try it. Gonna bring the two worst ones inside tonight. The other 3 are so friendly... let's see if this changes anything... I'll keep u posted!

1 person likes this.
  9. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Just MHO but it is important to have a second housing option for emergencies, time out, broody hens, sick and injured quarantine and quarantine of new birds.
    A new bird should be housed/quarantined 40 days or close to it and as far from the original flock as possible.

Once an emergency arises, it's too late to think of housing options.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by