My Flock

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by B. Kossum, May 12, 2010.

1. B. Kossum

B. Kossum Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2010
    Just wanted to post some updated pics of our chickens. We recently added three Magpie ducks as well. I went to get two, but the lady threw in one with a messed up leg. Everything seems lined up, no dislocations, wounds or bruising, but she/he just won't use it. Otherwise, it eats and drinks and keeps up with the rest of them (hopping on one leg) just fine, but it kinda swims in circles. lol! Anyways, all of these chicks are hatchery stock, but I would be interested in yall's opinions on their faults. I bred dogs for a while and I'm big into standards so I would like to know how far away from the standard these are.

Here's Seymour- she is a 10 week old Easter Egger and self-proclaimed leader of the flock. I swear she acts just like a Roo.

[​IMG]

Here's Henrietta- she is our 11 wee old Barred Rock and the sweetest chicken we have. I bet she will make a good momma. Everytime I put new babies in the coop they flock to Henrietta.

[​IMG]

This is Goldie- she is a 9 week old Easter Egger. I think she is our prettiest chicken.

[​IMG]

Here is Cracker- she is a 9 week old White Rock. She was set to be eaten, but she is too friendly. I will probably eat my Rhode Island Red instead.

[​IMG]

This is Roadie- our 9 week old Rhode Island Red. Too bad for her, her skittish attitude has her destined for the oven.

[​IMG]

This is Cookie- she is a 7 week old Cuckoo Marans. Not much to say about her; I don't think she has a whole lot of sense.

[​IMG]

This is Dinner- our 4 week old Production Red. She was bought specifically to be eaten, but don't worry we love her just the same. Although, she doesn't act like she has much sense either which makes it a little easier lol.

[​IMG]

This is Buffy- our 3 week old Buff Orpington. I know, the name ain't very original but it fits. I fell in love with my neighbors Orpington, so that is why I got her.

[​IMG]

Finally, here are our ducks. We didn't plan on them, but they are a lot of fun. They are almost 2 week old Magpies. I've included a pic of the little one's messed up leg. I'd appreciate a few suggestions on what I may could do. I may repost this in the duck section if I get time. I would also appreciate any information or yall's experiences with Magpie ducks. I've read up on them, but it's nice to get some personal info.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  2. SAORSA

SAORSA Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Wine Country
    Sorry, probibly no help, but I know ducks have very sensitive feet and legs. We have little red ants and one would bite our ducklings on the foot once in a while. You would have thought they had broken leggs by the way they acted. They would recover after a few days and act as if nothing happened.
    I hope it's only a simple owie with your little guy.
    If not maybe the bump will get you the answer. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by