My Florida Style Chicken Coop Finally DONE!

FlChic

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 15, 2009
Malabar, FL.
We finally got our coop all done last week so I thought I'd share the finished product. I think we did pretty good for newbies:)

And of course a pic of my new chickies!

thumbsup.gif
That looks fantastic! Those palmetto fronds really are great building materials to use, they're durable and effective in shedding rain. All those Seminoles who designed the chickee hut really knew what they were doing!

What part of Florida are you in? I'm in western West Palm Beach. Don't forget to make hurricane plans for your birds and their coops, then hope you don't ever have to use them.

welcome-byc.gif

[

What part of Florida are you in? I'm in western West Palm Beach. Don't forget to make hurricane plans for your birds and their coops, then hope you don't ever have to use them.

I am in east central Florida. The coop is made from cattle fence, so I am hoping the winds will just blow right through. The box that we made for the inside can be latched down so I am hoping this is enough for storms. Whatcha think?

Very Cool! Great idea! I really like the 'tropical' look. I wish I were so handy! How do you attach the palm fronds?

I cut half the fronds off then drilled a hole through the stick part and threaded it with a heavy wire. It took ALOT of palm fronds and ALOT of time to do. Much more than I thought it would. They are attched to a cattle panel with even more wire. Can we say my hands hurt after each session! BUT I think the end product was worth it, just hope it holds up for a few years.

Doesn't look like I quoted right, sorry, still trying to figure this board out!

Thanks for all the compliments

Back
Top Bottom