My Flower Girls (new chicks)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by BeeBeeCO, Mar 28, 2015.

1. BeeBeeCO

BeeBeeCO Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2015
    Loveland, CO
    Hi guys! I'm new to this place btu not new to chickens necessarily. I had chickens for a few years as a child and always wanted to get them when I was older. I finally moved to a house with a 14K sq foot yard this past autumn with a lovely garden. So, I could finally get my chickens!

I just got my girls (hopefully all girls anyway :p) today! I got two Blue Cochins and two Golden Wyandottes.

Im calling them my flower girls because I am naming them all after flowers. My Blue Cochins will be Iris & Violet (One has yellow on her face right now, so if she keeps it, she might be Iris) And my Goldens are Petunia & Clover.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will be posting pics here as they keep growing! :)

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Welcome to the flock! I love the names.. more pix please! [​IMG]

3. BeeBeeCO

Mar 26, 2015
    Loveland, CO
    I will definitely be taking more tomorrow! I don't want to pick them up too much today (only have been when they need their butts cleaned) because I don't want to stress them out too much.

4. boskelli1571

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    [​IMG]

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Just precious, and I love their names! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. BeeBeeCO

Mar 26, 2015
    Loveland, CO
    Just a quick pic of them today. :) All of them going down for a group nap. Im glad to see that they don't seem to mind that they aren't all egg mates. I've read that there can be issues with the different breeds not accepting each other but I see them all sleep next to each other. :)

Also, does anyone have any idea how old they might be? I'm thinking just over a week? The feed store says they get them on Fridays as day olds but the ad was put in the wednesday before last. So I dont know if these girls came in this Friday or last Friday.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  7. boskelli1571

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    I would think you're guessing about right - and yes - they are so cute at this age.

8. BeeBeeCO

Mar 26, 2015
    Loveland, CO
    Hmmmm... Violet (on of the blue cochins) seems to be really lethargic. I've been watching her today and most of the time when I see her she is just standing in one spot and falling asleep. Meanwhile the others are running all over the place and pecking away. Every once in a while I see her drinking water and pecking but not as vigorously as the others. I was reading on here to try giving her sugar water. She took some but wasn't really interested. And actually, I was giving it to her in the brooder and Clover got a taste and she REALLY wanted some lol. Either way, I still see Violet drink normal water so I guess it's fine. I also read about giving them some ground oatmeal. Which, I just took and pressed it through a wire mesh strainer so it was really finely grounded down. She definitely liked that and ate quite a bit of it.

I also just washed off her vent and stuff just to make sure that isn't the issue.

But hopefully she gets better! :( I understand some chicks might die for no reason whatsoever but I really hope she picks up.

9. boskelli1571

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    [​IMG]

10. BeeBeeCO

Mar 26, 2015
    Loveland, CO
    She does seem a lot better today :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by