My four girls

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by grahams girls, Aug 5, 2014.

1. grahams girls

grahams girls Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2014
    I've just started keeping hens, I brought them to there new home yesterday.
    I would like to know how long I should keep them in the coop before I let them roam around as I want them to be free range as that's only the right thing to do ?
    Any help will be great fully received.. Thankyou.

2. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Welcome to BYC! Congratulations on your new flock. Someone knowledgeable will be along in a second (if not while I'm typing this) with some recommendations. Thanks for joining.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! Chickens should be "cooped up" for about a week before being allowed to free range, so they'll have time to get used to the coop and get to know it as "home". I usually start the free ranging with an hour before sunset, so they don't roam too far on the first day and know how to find their way home.

4. grahams girls

Aug 5, 2014
    Thank you for your help sumi, as you can tell I am new to to chicken care and any information you can give me would great.. Thank you

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    You're welcome! Check out the Learning Center articles when you have time. There is a lot of good info there on all sorts of chicken related topics. Enjoy the site!

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  7. grahams girls

Aug 5, 2014
    Thank you both for your help, I will start reading straightaway.

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

X3 on cooping them up for several days. This will help them learn where home is. Definitely stop by our learning center. Lots of good articles on keeping your new birds.

Enjoy this new adventure you are on and welcome to our flock!

9. grahams girls

Aug 5, 2014
    Thank you two crows.
    When would be the best time to worm my girls,, and can we still use the eggs while they are being wormed ?
    Which is the best way to worm them,, pellet or liquid ?
    Thanks for any help.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Actually it is best to have a poo sample checked by a vet to determine IF your birds have internal parasites and WHAT kind so the proper treatment is initiated.

As to free ranging is isn't the ONLY right way to raise them. You have to weigh your risks and decide if their freedom is worth an ongoing need to replace "lost" poultry. If birds have never been free ranged they don't miss it. They can be perfectly satisfied with a safely enclosed spacious run - where they have a better chance of living out their potential.

Welcome to BYC.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by