My four year old just turned my thermostat on day 20!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MommaB, Jul 19, 2011.

1. MommaB

MommaB Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2011
    My son just ran to me telling me that the light went black so he turned it back on! [​IMG]

I asked him to show me what he did and he twisted my finger. He then showed me which direction he turned it. INCREASE!1[​IMG]

Then temp was already rising so I turned the stat until it shut off. It then immediately came back on so I turned it a bit more.

I know what I am going to be doing every second of the next twelve hours!!!! Watching my temp and praying!!!!![​IMG]

Poor thing! I think I scared him a bit by my reaction. He was so excited that we were hearing a peep and he wanted to help. Thankfully I was able to get myself together before I upset him. We had a big discussion on what that light was for! I told the kids that not even their Daddy has permission to touch that thermostat![​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  2. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    [​IMG] Poor little fella. I may have done the same thing at that age.
    Hope the hatch goes ok.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    My temp went up to 115 for about an hour and I still had 100% of my fertile eggs hatch.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  4. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    They should be fine as long as you keep a check on the temp.

5. MommaB

MommaB Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2011
    It seems that we avoided any major temp hike. It only went up to about 101 for a few minutes. I'm going to make sure and brag on him for telling me the truth even though he may have been scared. This will be a great opportunity to reinforce honesty because he will see how important the truth was. He loves our chickens.[​IMG]

Still no babies as of this morning but I did still hear peeping a couples of hours ago.

6. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    If the air temp was at 101 for a couple of minutes, then the internal temp of the eggs most likely only rose by 0.1 degree, if that!

And yes, kudos to your son for being honest. Sounds like he'll have learned not to do it again too, which is great.

7. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    Awwww he was trying to help! And wanted you to know how helpful he was!

8. mathesonfarm

mathesonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    New York
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by