1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My free goose

Discussion in 'Geese' started by rarely bored, Oct 20, 2011.

1. rarely bored

rarely bored Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    Central California
    background: The local feedstore had 3 geese which were special ordered for a client. When the geese came in, the client refused them and the geese remained at the feedstore. When nobody bought the geese (months later) the feedstore held a raffle in order to find the geese new homes. In order to be entered into the raffle all you needed to do was spend $10 -- which isn't hard to do when a bale of alfalfa is close to $20!! So, I tossed my name in the hat and was blown away when they pulled my name. Growing up my mom always said, geese were mean, so it took a little bit of work to overcome the knee jerk reaction, and I'm so glad I did. The feedstore told me the goose was an Buff Tufted Goose. Well, it only took one picture of a Buff Tufted Goose to convince me, the feedstore didn't get what they thought they did. I'm thinking American Buff.

We named the goose, Gerrymander, mainly because we have a cat named Filibuster.

Here are a few pictures of the dear. We are enjoying 'him' a lot more than I ever thought a goose could be enjoyed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Kinda looks like a Toulouse goose to me....

But aren't geese NIFTY??? They are so much fun to watch! You can SEE them think things through! They like to play with things, too.

I have a Toulouse pair, Kate and Angus. They aren't sexually mature yet, but they are definitely a couple. Angus is really laid back in temperament while Kate is a bit more bossy and controlling.

Wait until your goose gets the Zoomies! Running at top speed, flapping wings and honking just for fun.

3. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I know that geese are better watchdogs than dogs are. Congratulations on your getting your goose.

4. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    OK, full disclosure - I was attacked by a goose once because s/he wanted my lunch. My bad for trying to take five next to a lake. So I'm not predisposed favorably towards geese, but having said that, wow - what a beautiful goose! I'm so glad I stumbled on this post. And I love his name...

5. geepy

geepy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    central FL
    Are you sure it's a he?

6. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    Quote:Not a Toulouse.. A American Buff

7. rarely bored

Jan 22, 2011
    Central California
    Quote:nope. We have no idea, but calling him/her, "it" doesn't sound nice. [​IMG] Hopefully he will lay eggs in the spring and we will know for sure that he isn't a he. Eggs or not, we like "him."

Quote:lol, I'll go look up Toulouse... I've spent more time playing with Gerrymander than looking at pictures. And YES, They are NIFTY! If I knew this a long time ago, I would have wanted one. Gerrymander has been the best surprise in a long time! "He" helped me pull clover out of my garden today - I love it!

Thank you for all the kind words! OvertheHenHouse, I'm sure Gerrymander would not attack you if you took a nap nearby. He might honk at you though. [​IMG]

8. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Yeah, but what if I had ... food ... ?!?! [​IMG]

9. rarely bored

Jan 22, 2011
    Central California
    Quote:Not a Toulouse.. An American Buff

Looked at some Toulouse pictures... I agree he looks like a Toulouse, but the Toulouse is grey where the American Buff is the buff/tan color, yes? Gerrymander is very Buff. [​IMG]

10. geepy

geepy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    central FL
    I think your he is a she, no curly tail feather.
    Now, I'm not a goose expert, but I think you might get some eggs (awesome for baking)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by