1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My free horse/colt........

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by lil'turkeymama, Nov 26, 2010.

1. lil'turkeymama

lil'turkeymama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    Alabama
    He is a quarter horse cross with a paint-colored mare.Small 2 year old.I am hoping I can work him into a youth horse.I love his build,confirmation,and his color is nice ,too.He will have to learn light buggy,also.He is shy.How/what can I do to help him get friendly?He comes for corn when I feed the birds.I'm going to let him grow before any riding.I just need to get him friendly fast.Thanks,[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. silkieroo

silkieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    Sorry! I don't know much about shy horses... But he's very handsome! [​IMG] Bump!

3. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    lungeing for respect is the best way..he will learn to respect you,do not treat him like a dog,they turn out very bossy and unsafe for the average person when spoiled..find a qualified person to help you...he is cute,,should make a nice youth horse.

4. WIChookchick

WIChookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Rural Brooklyn, WI
    Grain!! small amounts at first.
    And lunging, round pen work.. doesn't have to be round.. a large paddock will work.
    The key, don't let him put his butt towards you, you want his head/face/ears towards you.
    When you let him stop, don't let him look out away from you, if he does, keep his feet moving, go a few times around one way, then reverse him
    and have him go around the other way, he doesn't have to run, walking/trotting is fine.
    when he faces towards you. STOP, step back away from the center of where you are standing, put down the stick/rope/ thing you are holding... and see if you can walk towards him.
    Don't try to pet his face first, try for the neck, soft hi pitched voice.. let him sniff your hand.. try to pet the neck.. if not just stand there for a moment quietly.. then turn and walk away from him..
    See if he will follow.. if not just let him stand for a moment or two..
    Then ask him to move again.
    The goal of this is to teach him, its easier to turn and face you, and its easier to hang out with you than being run around in circles...
    IF you like to give treats.. (I do), when you stop for the first time and he is at least standing parallel to the fence, and his head is turned towards you. Put down your whip/stick/rope... and hold out some corn or other treat.. see if he will take it, or put it on the ground in front of him.. then walk away...
    give him a moment of rest, then go back to lunging...
    Just repeat the steps above, The goal is to have him follow you like a dog, or at least let you pet him and get him to want to be around you..
    The reason you walk away, is to get him to acknowledge you as the leader and to want to follow you.
    I hope this helps, you can find a lot of videos on you tube about lunging for respect and lunging to get the horse to "join up".
    Carol

5. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Daily handling is the only way.....you don't have to do anything fancy, just grooming, touching and feeding. The key, as mentioned by some others, is teaching him to respect your space. You do not want a "pocket pony". That is dangerous to anyone who would ever need to handle him.

6. neftaball

neftaball Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2010
    Sonoma County, Ca
    Daily handling, also keeping them away from other horses, so he begins to look to you for company. Also natural horsemanship techniques on round penning.

7. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Lots of good advice! Lots of trail obstacles in hand like walking him over cavalettis or backing up and sidepassing in hand can be good for him. Horses are happiest when they have jobs, even part time ones [​IMG]

8. Skittlez

Skittlez Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    Rockford
    He is a cutie!! Once he gets use to your home and your schedule he will start to feel more confident. When I had a shy colt, I would take a chair and sit in the paddock and read a book or something. My colt could approach me on his own time, sniff and check out what I was doing. I would softly talk to him and touch him briefly. That seemed to help him come out of his shell more. When he knew I was the good guy, I did lots of grooming, leading, groundwork. I started with 5-10 min sessions, keep it positive, build up to 20 min or so daily. Once you gain his trust, the rest will come easier. I also worked on handling the feet, that is just as important. I bet he will be a georgous horse when he fills out.

9. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    Nice looking colt...A gelding I hope. If not, call the vet out ASAP. Not that he is built that badly, but you do not want a stallion. If you plan to train him to the cart, I would advise less lounging and more long lining or ground driving. Lounging is great for teaching obedience but beyond that, it is just running around in circles. You can do anything in the long lines that you can do in the saddle including Grand Prix dressage though you might need to be a little athletic. I discovered that nothing bonds are horse quicker than finding his itchy areas and comfort zones. It works better than treats. An old Osage Indian taught me how to tame a "wild" colt when I was in my teens. It is not practical in this day and age but it meant living with the horse at the end of a leadrope for several days. If you have the time and patience, it could work with 3-4 hours a day. Use a lounge line and simply remain in his company. Go where he goes and try to do whatever he does, within reason. Whether he leads or you lead, makes little difference. Keep the line LOOSE. Approach him every so often and pat him. If he walks away from you, circle him around and gently pull him towards you. After awhile, you will be able to approach him easily, at ANY time.

10. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    He is very pretty!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by