My Free Range Chickens Are Eating The Eggs. What Can I Do? Help!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by peach2727, Jan 12, 2010.

1. peach2727

peach2727 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2009
    I Have 200 Free Range Chickens And I Am Now Seeing Eggs Being Eaten.

What Can I Do To Alleviate This Problem?

Thank You For All The Help.

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I'm a little concerned I have a similar problem. May I ask what signs you are seeing that the eggs are being eaten? In other words, do they crack them open and eat the egg but leave the shell, or do the eggs just disappear entirely?

3. chickeydee

chickeydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    There are alot of things it could be you should check them out Are you sure it is the chickens? Are you feeding them pellets ,maybe they need more protein . are any of them in molt. . Good luck ! I would love to see what it is .

4. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Confine them to run and coop. Build roll-away nests boxes that allow eggs to roll to where the chooks cannot see or get them. I doubt they can be trained to not like them. I have heard of people cutting small holes in shells, draining eggs, and then using things like liquid soap to refill and then melt candle wax over the holes to seal them. This has worked for curing dogs of eating eggs, but I have doubts it would work for chooks.[​IMG]

5. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Quote:What are you calling free range? I can not imagine true free ranging 200 chickens that would make a naked property. Are these in tractors? What chicken breed are they?

6. PaulaJoAnne

PaulaJoAnne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Ours were eating all their eggs as well, and we solved the issue overnight, by giving them free choice of Oyster shell.
    They were deficient in calcium.
    I trust you have several acres that these 200 chickens have to roam on?

7. chicktwit

chicktwit Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    I definitely agree. Oyster shell is probably what they need. Are shells coming up thin, breaking easily?

8. peach2727

peach2727 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2009
    We Have 20 Acres Here. They Roam As They Please And Go Back Into Their Coop At Night.

No Predators Here In Ecuador To Worry About So Far.

9. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    How do you know they are eating the eggs? Perhaps they just have hidden nests somewhere?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by