My friend Cheep

Amers77

Hatching
Feb 8, 2023
I feel like I need to put my friend Cheep down. Both her legs are stuck straight out front and back and she can’t move at all. She is currently in a sling but I know there is no quality of life. I can not bear to think of culling her but know she is suffering (her eyes are now closed most of the time and she shivers). What is the most humane way to go about this? My husband will have to do it but I want it to be quick and painless. I also can’t stand the thought of him breaking her neck…but I hear that is the most painless way. I hate that I am asking this.

Quick shot from the back of the head w a .22 if you’re out in the country (or somewhere you can shoot legally) break her neck if you’re in the city (or somewhere that you can’t shoot legally)

Thank you all. I just start crying when I even think about it. I have had her for almost 10 years and she is the one that hangs with me in the garden. I know it is weird to think of her as a pet like a dog…but I do!

Sorry about your hen. It is never easy to end a life, but it is our responsibility to make sure they don’t suffer. I have culled a couple by cutting the jugular vein and letting them bleed out. The cervical dislocation method was hard for me, but many use that method. It is easier for us when they pass away on their own.

Back
Top Bottom