My friend feeds his cat CRICKETS!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by shelleyd2008, Oct 29, 2008.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    This can't be good right?? he says he gets them, and the cat plays with them and eats them!!!

2. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Well, it is a little odd, but I'm sure it is nutritous for the cat. I wouldn't do it because I can't stand to watch them torture their meal before they eat it [​IMG] I give them to my chickens because they eat them in two chomps.

3. Epona142

Epona142 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    Bedias, TX
    Yum, protein! [​IMG]

On a more serious note, this is great enrichment for kitty and certainly won't do any harm. Imagine how fun it is for kitty to get to do something natural to her instinct that rewards her with a tasty snack after all the fun. [​IMG]

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Don't know about y'all, but I wish my kitty would stick to things like crickets.
    Nothing quite says GOOD MORNING! like stepping out the back door barefoot and stepping right into the innards of a huge rat your kitty has left there for you because she just loves you soooo much. [​IMG]

5. mlmadura

mlmadura Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    ms
    Well my chicks LOVE crickets - I guess its protein lol

6. Melilem

Melilem Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    When I was little, my neighbors cat would hunt them down and eat them himself. We would catch them for him sometimes just because the crunching when he ate them was so grooosssss. Im sure it's perfectly healthy and natural. and still wicked gross.

7. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Yeah I told him it probably wasn't good, until I remembered my kitties catching and eating an occasional lizard when we lived in Florida! They liked the really huge spiders too!

8. reallemons1

reallemons1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    My cat loves catching and eating cave crickets in the basement. Bob, my Jack Russell eats a few too. I don't complain, it helps get rid of them and gives the cat something to do. It don't seem to hurt them, well only the cricket.

9. Maidservant

Maidservant Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Norwich, Norfolk, UK
    The only thing I would be concerned about is if the crickets had been sprayed by pesticides or herbicides. The cricket itself will not hurt the cat, in fact they are wonderful enrichment, but if they have any chemicals on it, it could spell disaster. I have crickets that I order for my reptiles, and when they get out, my cat gets them. We do not use pesticides or herbicides on our property, much less in our house. All in all, I say it's good exercise.

10. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    No he said he buys them at a pet store that sells them as food.

I just thought it was strange. You but crickets for lizards and such, not cats!!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by