My friend found a chicken in her backyard today....**PICTUE ADDED**

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ladybug99, Jul 10, 2011.

1. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    She of course called me to take it.. She said there was something wrong with its head....Well I expected to be picking up a injured chicken that I would have to eventually cull. Boy was I wrong about that.. when I arrived I found a beautiful Polish hen. She was very quiet and lethargic . Her nails were really long as well as her beak, and she had no head injury.. just a huge puff of feathers on her head. I brought her home and put it in the isolation pen she drank and ate like she hadn't eaten in a week. She then noticed the other chickens in the next pen over... she ran over to them like they were her long lost sisters.

All afternoon they exchanged pecks thru the chicken wire and she even tried to fly over the top of the pen a few times. Things were looking good so we left her in the pen with food water and coverage from the rain and went out to dinner. We arrived home shortly after sundown.. our chickens were just settling in for the night. I went over to the isolation pen to close up the new girl for the night and she was gone.....we think she has flown up into the trees for the night....there was no indication of a hawk or predator attack.. we hope she comes back in the morning.

My friend did notify the police and will be calling the humane society to see if anyone was missing her....just incase she was someone's pet. From the looks of her nails and beak she has not been out side much... she may have been a house chicken.

If no one claims her and she comes back I hope to introduce her to my flock.. keeping my fingers crossed to see her in the morning [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  2. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I hope she comes back! [​IMG] Good luck! Keep us posted!

3. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    She came back this morning... she was sleeping on the top of the coop and we did not see her last night.. she is sooo cute.. she looks 150% better than she did yesterday.. makes me think even more she belongs to someone who is missing her [​IMG] But no word yet on a missing chicken in the neighboorhood.

Here is a picture of her.... she needs a cute name to match her personality

[​IMG]

4. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    aww, that's so cute she was on top of the coop, clearly she wants to be part of the flock. She looks like a Henrietta to me. [​IMG]

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    That chicken looks like Ray Charles call her Rachael.

6. Kdub86

Kdub86 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    With good looking legs and a head Like that I think u should call her Tina Turner.

7. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Thank you for helping her [​IMG]
    JJ

8. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    I like that much better than my name, it fits perfectly!

Quote:

9. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    Tina is awesome! You strut your bad self, girl!

10. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Quote:X2..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by