My friend gave me a Peacock and hen! Now what?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by serendipity22, Sep 11, 2007.

1. serendipity22

serendipity22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
    What do I need to know about these beautiful birds?

Currently they're in an enclosed pen with game bird starter and BOSS to eat. I went ahead and put terramycin and vits and minerals in their water because they had a 7 hour ride to get from their previous home to mine, so they had to be stressed out...

When can I let them out of this enclosure and expect them to stay on my property (6 acres).

Any recommendations?

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Well..I would say at least 2 weeks.....just to let them know where the food and water come from, so they come back. Got picks?? I just LOVE peacocks...and want some one day...when I convince DH.

3. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    Yeah. I want some too. Please post pictures!

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Have they started screaming yet?

Oh boy, what a treat! [​IMG]

5. serendipity22

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
    I love peacocks call. Can't wait to hear it...

I'll see if I can take some photos tomorrow!

6. Henny Penny Mom

Henny Penny Mom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2007
    Hello - We have peacock and hens and found that before we had the hens, the peacock would "run" off. I would keep them caged for a long time (3 months or so) then let them out gradually in the evening so they have only a short time till they will go back in their pen on their own. (as opposed to letting them out in the AM to wander all day) Then you can gradually let them out for longer periods of time. You might also let the male out first in this fashion so his hens are still in the pen; and he will not go away. Then he'll get familiar with the area first before the lady bird.

We absolutely love our peacocks; they are amazing durable birds. very curious and interesting.

They also are very powerful and good flyers. I've seen mine fly 30 ft like a shot into trees when threatened. I've tried catching them, and been almost knocked out by the power of the peahens wing !

If you have questions you can email me directly too [​IMG]

Henny Penny Mom

7. serendipity22

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
    Thank you for the ideas! I was going to keep them enclosed for about a month but what you've suggested sounds really good.

What do you feed your peafowl? The person that my friend got these from fed them half cracked corn and half sunflower seeds. That diet seems extremely inadequate. I am thinking that I'll feed them game bird feed with maybe alfalfa and sunflower seeds as treats.

8. Henny Penny Mom

Henny Penny Mom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2007
    Mine also love cat food, grapes and any fresh fruits, such as watermelon etc etc. The cat food is good since it has all kinds of protiens and nutrients in it as well, but its only given as a treat/snack. As a main food I free feed mixed grains (like you would feed chickens) and gravel. I also give diatomaceous earth in the food from time to time and dust their pens with it.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/patf1k9/Img2006-06-24_0004.jpg

[http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/patf1k9/Img2006-06-24_0004.jpg]

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/patf1k9/Aeron2006-06-17tailshot.jpg

not sure how to post the picture links, but I tried....

Henny Penny Mom

9. serendipity22

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
    The second photo is absolutely beautiful.

DH and I are rolling on the floor laughing at the first one!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  10. DoctorGoose

DoctorGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    Woodinville,WA
    LOL! I clicked on the first picture....and was like...hm....nice house...where's the bird??? Second picture!! OOOOH! Pretty!!!

*scroll down* What's so funny about a house??

*click* Hm.....where's the bird? [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by