1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My friend has a................

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PoultryGirly, Mar 6, 2013.

1. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Hi. My friend had a very sick rooster. She would've posted on here herself but the power keeps going out. She said her rooster has been sick around a week, but getting worse each day. His symptoms are:
    Diarrhea
    Doesn't like walking and he moves very, very slow (has skin peeling off of his feet)
    Frostbite on his comb
    A very weak crow
    Doesn't pay any interest in his hens
    Is getting skinnier (eats some, but not a lot)

Can anyone help her?

2. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Anyone?

3. Funky Chooks

Funky Chooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
    I would immediately bring the bird inside if it remains calm, or some other place where it will not be picked on by others, keep him warm and provide fresh food and water. Immediately clean and disinfect his feet. Use some neosporin and some vaseline after to cover the wounds and his legs.

If he's not too weak, worm him with medicine in his water. Provide mashed up hard boiled egg if he isn't eating, or plain yogurt in addition to scratch.

That's how I would start to deal with this. We need more info to do more. Look up "bumblefoot" also. I think that's how it's spelled. It may have started with that, then he became ill not being able to do his normal routine? Not sure.

4. Funky Chooks

Dec 16, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
  5. Funky Chooks

Dec 16, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
    Was it more like an all over frostbite that might be the overall cause? How is he doing now?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by